An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

This morning, we'll have to change over the missalettes in chapel; a new book starts at the beginning of the new liturgical year. Later this afternoon, after completing my shift at the front desk, I'll have to get our stand up from the basement, climb around in the sacristy (to get the Advent wreath and candles down from the closet cupboard), put out the new lectionary, and change the altar cloths. [ 156 more words ]

sr.christinaosf

From now (actually this past Saturday evening) until February 2nd, I'll be praying a beautiful Marian antiphon after Night Prayer. It's called Alma Redemptoris Mater (Latin words that begin the prayer). This antiphon is about 1,000 years old and is actually mentioned in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. It goes as follows: [ 147 more words ]

sr.christinaosf

This afternoon, I was offered a fresh homemade bun by one of my co-workers (in my mind, these are much better than candy!) Periodically, she likes to bake and we reap the benefits. I had to decline, however, or postpone the enjoyment until suppertime. Today is prescribed as a fast day in our community. (We fast and abstain on the Vigils of St. [ 245 more words ]

sr.christinaosf

This morning, I walked into the activity room here at St. Anne’s, only to find the branches from my inherited Jesse Tree sprawled out on one of the tables.

It was only about 8 in the morning...read more

sr.christinaosf

Since 1980, the Sisters at St. Anne’s have been enhancing their commemoration of the final days of Advent by displaying “The O Antiphons,” beautifully calligraphed by Sr. Elaine.

Read more...

sr.christinaosf

Here’s Hoping…

Advent, properly observed, is a season of hope.  We have not yet reached what we are waiting for.  It is not already Christmas (contrary to what the world around us seems to say so prominently).

sr.christinaosf

There can be a temptation to become lax about receiving gifts as Sisters, a inclination to automatically accept and store away item received.

I realize, though...read more

sr.christinaosf

Merry Christmas!  (And, yes, it is still Christmas!  We’re within the octave and the season goes until the Feast of the Lord’s Baptism in January.)

One of the special parts of this season is the carols.

Along with What Child is This? and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, a song which has more recently become one of my favorite...read more

sr.christinaosf

Cat Burglar?

Sr. Elaine went out shopping again this morning, as she often does on Saturdays (or when need arises around here). As she was about to take the items out to the car, a man (store employee) who appe…