An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts from a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

This morning, as I was going over the readings for Mass, it struck me that “We’re on the winning side.”

There are actually two options for the first reading on this feast of the archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael.  The first option is from the book of Daniel and the second is from Revelation...

Read more...

sr.christinaosf

“…Save in the Cross”

This evening, before praying "first vespers" for our solemnity of St. Francis (our patron and founder), we concluded our annual preparatory novena leading...read more

sr.christinaosf

This morning, as I sit at the reception desk embroidering, I have tomorrow's responsorial psalm playing the background; this will help prepare me for leading the singing at Mass. The words of this psalm are touching for me, especially after just having completed a study with our residents on the Exodus. We're been reviewing how God brought His people out of Egypt and gave them a land to inhabit. [ 105 more words ]

https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/2017/10/07/the-vineyard-of-the-lord/

sr.christinaosf

No, I don't think that I'm the greatest writer out there, but I do look for opportunities to get the word out about our blog as a means of possibly fostering awareness and vocations. I received this email and thought I would forward it to you in case you might consider nominating Our Franciscan Fiat for one of their awards. Nominations are open. [ 148 more words ]

https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/2017/10/10/attention-readers-of-our-franciscan-fiat/

sr.christinaosf

Fun Pictures

I’ve carried a family tradition with me “to the convent,” namely making a scarecrow in the beginning of October.  “Henry,” now an annual visitor made by myself and a few residents, sits outside our facility. Enjoy a few …

sr.christinaosf

I work a few evenings a week here at the front desk. Sometimes, when I see someone heading toward our chapel (if I know them well enough to be comfortable), I'll encourage them: "Put in a good word for me." (There is one individual who I am especially prone to exhort in this way.) I figure that I need all the prayers I can get, and what better place to find them than with someone who is on the way to visit Christ, present in our chapel? [ 110 more words ]

sr.christinaosf

After our annual "Fire Safety In-Service" (not my favorite pastime), I stopped home for a couple of things. While there, I received a phone call that was truly a blessing. I have been facing a couple of challenging situations and this conversation was a cherished opportunity to share and discuss it with a caring confidant. I was so grateful. After hanging up the phone, I walked toward our little convent chapel, meaning to quickly genuflect (as I customarily do) before leaving to return to my workplace. [ 141 more words ]

sr.christinaosf

FEEDBACK PLEASE: (Regarding Our Franciscan Fiat) I would appreciate your thoughts/feedback: Is it worth keeping up this blog? Do you find it interesting? Do you have any other thoughts to share? Thanks.

Edited by sr.christinaosf

I love to read your posts Sister. I think it is definitely worth it to keep it up. Maybe write about what it is like living in community or how you and your order live out your vows like what it is like living the vow of poverty?

I think it is really nice to keep up. I like the informalness of it and as a discerner I found those types of blogs to be really helpful. It helps one get a sense of the day to day in the community.  I love the humor you put in as well!

sr.christinaosf

I'm not usually one to have a ton of little devotionals and prayer cards around, but I got one just the other day that is really "a keeper." My parents came up to Grand Forks to help us with our annual fall sale and luncheon this weekend. Their presence was much appreciated. Along with their cherished help and company, they also gave use a few other treasures. [ 280 more words ]

sr.christinaosf

Yesterday morning, when I was working as receptionist, I got a couple of phone calls for Sr. Elaine within a fairly short time period, both from our evening receptionist, Carla. I think I kind of wondered what was up, but "minded my own business." This evening, after finishing our semi-monthly community spiritual discussion, Sr. Elaine filled us in on the humorous details: [ 125 more words ]