An Old School Catholic Message Board

Republican Debates

Basilisa Marie

1 minute ago, Peace said:

I dunno about all that. You pretty much need the American military to police the world as we have been doing since the end of the second world war. You would probably end up with chaos around the world otherwise. Japan and China would be blowing each other up left and right if we weren't in there. Same with plenty of other situations.

Bingo. The one security threat that isn't going away: China. They talked about it so sparingly last night, but it's always huge on my horizons as a potential security threat to be deterred. I wonder why no one seemed to care...

However, in case you didn't notice, the world nowadays is fairly chaotic, just like our own domestic situation. Any nation has limited resources, and we really need to start choosing our battles better. If Putin can get Syria under wraps (and then eliminate the cause of the migrant problem), I say let him. He has interests there; we don't. Let's focus on where we have interests, and I think the biggest interest now is regaining the trust and good will of the loyal citizenry, who are finding themselves rather hard-pressed nowadays.

veritasluxmea

Trump ran for the reform party nomination in the 2000 election. Really compared to other candidates, Trump has very low fundraising (Sanders has raised 35.7 million more) and support. Remember the empty room photos, anyone

I like Rand. But I'd be ok with Rubio. 

tumblr_nzhe45F2R81rmjly4o1_500.png

Rand looks like he's heard it all before but is still slightly concerned. 

PhuturePriest
On 12/15/2015, 11:00:30, Nihil Obstat said:

As a non-American Catholic, I think Rubio is my favourite. Personally, I would not even call him the best of bad choices. I think he would legitimately be a good president for all y'all.

Edit: Because of that, I doubt he will get the nomination.

Rubio has been my guy since the beginning. My only discrepancy is his position on Syrian refugees.

Rubio has a fascinating personal religious history. Seems relatively educated about his Catholicism. 

Trump despises the Constitution. If you are for Trump you aren't a conservative, rather a populist. 

I like Rubio. I can't really say it has much to do with policy or experience. He just has a vibe to me that says "President". I wonder if anyone can beat Clinton though? The map doesn't look too good. Florida is a must, which is why you basically need Bush or Rubio on the ticket to have any hope in the world.

21 hours ago, Peace said:

Maybe we will get some more hanging chad action this time around. Do they have computers yet?

If almost all of the Republican candidates are "RINO" would that not make people with other views the "Republicans in Name Only"?

Wasn't Trump a Democrat like 3 and a half years ago?

Wasn't he pro-abortion like 5 years ago? What if he changes his mind again?

The chad thing is another matter, completely.

The ruling class of the GOP wants a candidate they can control. Rubio ran as a Tea Party candidate and then immediately sided with the likes of McCain and Graham. This is the Bush establishment. Whether it be Kasich or Christie or any of the other names stated, they will work with the Bush establishment. 

The current candidates that will not include Trump, Cruz and Paul. Paul is barely in this race and has no ground campaign or funding. Trump, no he is a populist, but he is smashing down the Bush establishment like no one else has. I see him as clearing the path. Otherwise, the GOP would be mimicking the Democrats where they would simply be crowning Jeb Bush the candidate for a Bush vs. Clinton run.

Simply look at the recent events in DC, can you tell the difference between Paul Ryan and Nancy Pelosi or McConnell and Reid? I have never seen a lame duck President not be made lame by the opposition party. There is no opposition. 

So, if by some chance Trump got the nomination and won, the establishment knows full well they would have to clear out of DC and there are just so many jobs available on FoxNews for them to push their progressive agenda's (heck all of FoxNews is littered with Bushies).

It is time to take out the trash and restore this Republic.

On 12/16/2015, 8:32:19, KnightofChrist said:

Rubio is another Bush Jr., no thanks.

Yeah, he's a lightweight neo-con wannabe.

I'm also no fan of his campaign's dishonest smear tactics, or of his blatant breaking of his promises to voters regarding amnesty.

(Oops, looks like St. Michael beat me to linking to that article, which Cruz mentioned in the debate.)

So, sorry, but I can't really join in the Rubio luv-fest on here.

On 12/16/2015, 8:44:28, NadaTeTurbe said:

. . .

• Cruz: Agree with most of Trump's stupid policies but don't want your friends to ostracize you for supporting a racist, fascist, psychopathic lunatic? Then try me: Diet Trump! All the stupidity, none of the guilt! :D . . .

Actually, Cruz is arguably one of the most intelligent candidates in the field - at least with regards to the actual relevant issues.  I heard him in an interview, and he was very articulate and informed - unlike those jokers on tumblr.

Typical left/establishment drones who can't address any actual issues, but only call names.

In fact, that entire string of tmblr comments was pretty asinine and ignorant.  Why copy it here?  Nothing of your own to say?  Really, I know fifth-graders who could come up with more clever snark.  Geez.

11 hours ago, Maggyie said:

Trump despises the Constitution. 

If that's true, that would make him no different from the current "leadership" in Washington - in both parties.

The Left's and the GOP establishment's (are they even distinguishable anymore?) sudden new-found concern for the Constitution is hilarious.

If only it were sincere . . . 

On 12/16/2015, 5:16:12, Seven77 said:

A bunch of clowns, the whole lot of them. Rubio is least clownlike it seems.

We need Saint Hillary to save us all!

Hmm. Actually I think the Republican field is pretty good this year, at least in comparison to previous years. Walker, Jindall, Kasich, Christie, Bush, Rubio all better than Clinton.

As for Cruz, wasn't he the one who was behind shutting down the Federal Government and achieved absolutely nothing in the process? It seemed like a rather idiotic thing for them to attempt, there was no chance it would ever work, especially with a democratic president in office. I have trouble taking him seriously after that whole fiasco.

4 hours ago, Peace said:

Hmm. Actually I think the Republican field is pretty good this year, at least in comparison to previous years. Walker, Jindall, Kasich, Christie, Bush, Rubio all better than Clinton.

As for Cruz, wasn't he the one who was behind shutting down the Federal Government and achieved absolutely nothing in the process? It seemed like a rather idiotic thing for them to attempt, there was no chance it would ever work, especially with a democratic president in office. I have trouble taking him seriously after that whole fiasco.

In case you haven't heard, Walker and Jindal have removed themselves from contention.

As for shutting down government spending, isn't Congress supposed to have the power of the purse? So if Cruz or any other Senator or Representative doesn't want to support Ottoman eunuch's exorbitant spending plans, then don't they (with approval of their Houses) have the right not to fund them?

Please quit talking about Ottoman eunuch (or whoever might succeed him) as a dictator.

4 hours ago, Socrates said:

In fact, that entire string of tmblr comments was pretty asinine and ignorant.  Why copy it here?  Nothing of your own to say?  Really, I know fifth-graders who could come up with more clever snark.  Geez.

Thank you for the name-calling, it's really appropriate on a christian forum :dontlike:

18 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Thank you for the name-calling, it's really appropriate on a christian forum :dontlike:

And posting silly memes made up by those who'd likely detest our faith is? Ten years ago, I thought ideology was a facile substitute for thought. Nowadays, I'm thinking memes have supplanted ideology in that regard. Let's watch ourselves here...

The post was made by a christian, pro-life, anti-feminist, republican. Not a catholic, still a christian.

The agressive tone used by Socrate, as well as the "you're not better than a fifth-grader" is inappropriate for an educated adult and a christian. I understand will not like this, I found it funny (and true) and posted here. If Socrate did not like it, there was other way to say it. 

KnightofChrist
4 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

The post was made by a christian, pro-life, anti-feminist, republican. Not a catholic, still a christian.

The agressive tone used by Socrate, as well as the "you're not better than a fifth-grader" is inappropriate for an educated adult and a christian. I understand will not like this, I found it funny (and true) and posted here. If Socrate did not like it, there was other way to say it. 

Hypocritical.

play nice boys and girls. If you're going to bicker and berate each other don't do it over something you ultimately have no real control over, like national politics.