An Old School Catholic Message Board

Republican Debates

Basilisa Marie

On 12/18/2015, 11:29:48, dUSt said:

Hey, if Putin likes him, so do I.

So many have found themselves very perturbed by the exchange of praise between Putin and Trump this past week; were they as perturbed by the praise given Obama by such people as Hugo Chavez or the Castro brothers? Those all seemed to slip under the radar...

On 12/17/2015, 10:14:48, Peace said:

Hmm. Actually I think the Republican field is pretty good this year, at least in comparison to previous years. Walker, Jindall, Kasich, Christie, Bush, Rubio all better than Clinton.

A drunken monkey would be better than Hillary Clinton.

If she was anyone other than Her Highness, she would already be serving hard time, along with her disgusting pervert husband.

I actually like Jindall - too bad his campaign never got any momentum.  Kasich, Christie, Bush, and Rubio are all more-or-less worthless establishment pawns.

On 12/17/2015, 10:14:48, Peace said:

As for Cruz, wasn't he the one who was behind shutting down the Federal Government and achieved absolutely nothing in the process? It seemed like a rather idiotic thing for them to attempt, there was no chance it would ever work, especially with a democratic president in office. I have trouble taking him seriously after that whole fiasco.

As was pointed out, Congress has the power of the purse, which it has sadly relinquished, along with its other powers to check the power of the executive branch.  This government was supposed to be a republic with checks and balances, not an imperial court.  Cruz didn't "shut down the government"; that decision was made by Obama, after he refused to sign the bill.  And if the Senate leadership had any spine, they would point this out, and keep sending back bills until the prez agrees to concede to at least some of the measures supported by a majority of the American people.  If he doesn't, the blame should be put on him, not Cruz or other conservatives.  

The Republicans in Congress were elected to actually stand up to Obama, not just hand him everything he wants on a silver platter, as it is doing under its current spineless "leadership."

And the "government shutdown" actually only involves a temporary cessation of certain non-essential government functions - only 17% of the total federal government.

There had in fact been seventeen such so-called "government shutdowns" since 1976 (including eight under Reagan and two under Clinton).  The world didn't end.

Edited by Socrates

On 12/18/2015, 2:36:50, NadaTeTurbe said:

Thank you for the name-calling, it's really appropriate on a christian forum :dontlike:

The garbage you copy-pasted consisted almost entirely of name-calling and insults.

If you can't see the irony, I'm afraid I can't help you.

On 12/19/2015, 12:55:47, Peace said:

Certain branches of it shut down at 5PM. Other branches are open 24 hours a day and our security very much depends on that being the case.

Those branches are unaffected by the so-called "shutdowns."

On 12/18/2015, 11:32:34, PhuturePriest said:

A leader of what may a well be declared an enemy nation supports and loves him. If that's not as damning to his campaign as it gets, I don't know what is.

Putin goes to Divine Liturgy and kisses icons. Pray tell, what is Obama's religious practice? Granted, Hollande's ex-lover Royal was photographed once kneeling at prayer, but tried to prevent the publication of those photographs...

Edited by bardegaulois

PhuturePriest
2 minutes ago, bardegaulois said:

Putin goes to Divine Liturgy and kisses icons. Pray tell, what is Obama's religious practice? Granted, Hollande's ex-lover Royal was photographed once kneeling at prayer, but tried to prevent the publication of those photographs...

Of course he does. He's Orthodox. Pope Alexander VI did many pious practices. Those pious practices didn't negate his very problematic lifestyle.

Putin's recent praise by the Republican party is quite worrisome, in all honesty. Doing a few good things and putting in a few laws that support properly ordered morality don't make you a holy and praiseworthy person.

Just now, PhuturePriest said:

Of course he does. He's Orthodox. Pope Alexander VI did many pious practices. Those pious practices didn't negate his very problematic lifestyle.

Putin's recent praise by the Republican party is quite worrisome, in all honesty. Doing a few good things and putting in a few laws that support properly ordered morality don't make you a holy and praiseworthy person.

And, our President, who has only tenuous connections to Christianity, wants to force the Catholic Church to finance contraception (pardon me, let's not mice words: population control). Would even Alexander VI have done that?

I didn't think so.

PhuturePriest
4 minutes ago, bardegaulois said:

And, our President, who has only tenuous connections to Christianity, wants to force the Catholic Church to finance contraception (pardon me, let's not mice words: population control). Would even Alexander VI have done that?

I didn't think so.

Why is Obama your standard by which you judge other political leaders?

You know who also had religious beliefs and didn't force the Catholic Church to finance contraception? King Henry VIII. But that doesn't make him automatically a good leader.

12 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

Why is Obama your standard by which you judge other political leaders?

You know who also had religious beliefs and didn't force the Catholic Church to finance contraception? King Henry VIII. But that doesn't make him automatically a good leader.

I'm not comparing other political leaders and Obama; I'm comparing Putin and Obama. One, though Orthodox and thus schismatic, worships God and promotes no policies contrary to natural or positive law. The other seems to worship himself and promotes policies opposed to both natural and positive law. Does that clarify the issue?

PhuturePriest
41 minutes ago, bardegaulois said:

I'm not comparing other political leaders and Obama; I'm comparing Putin and Obama. One, though Orthodox and thus schismatic, worships God and promotes no policies contrary to natural or positive law. The other seems to worship himself and promotes policies opposed to both natural and positive law. Does that clarify the issue?

Putin has been accused of assassinating political enemies and threatened war with Ukraine. He's hardly a role model.

PhuturePriest
50 minutes ago, bardegaulois said:

And Charles V assassinated Protestants and threatened war with the Turks. What's your point?

That an alleged political assassin and warmonger is not a model of Christianity or leadership, even if our own president doesn't express religious sentiment.

So what's your point? Charles stemmed the tide of Luther's heresy in Europe, replaced those lost to heresy with new Catholics in the Americas, and put both Spain and Catholic Germany on a war footing with the Ottoman slavers, which was fulfilled with Lepanto under his son's reign in Spain.

Good heavens, Future Priest, are you going to carry water for Bess's reign in England? (From your picture there, I'm guessing you're British of some sort, and because most British are English...) If so, you might want to look into her sister Mary, the wife of Philip II (if you can get over the Armada, because your naval expeditions against Spain sucked as well.)

On December 19, 2015 at 10:55:47 AM, Peace said:

Certain branches of it shut down at 5PM. Other branches are open 24 hours a day and our security very much depends on that being the case.

It is a tax. You are not forced to buy. You pay a tax if you do not buy. When the government does not give a person without children the child deduction (thus requiring him to pay more in tax than a person who has children) is the government forcing the person to have children? I find that argument to be weak, as did 5 members of the Supreme Court.

They could defund it by shutting down all of government indefinitely? Was that a realistic plan? It seems not, but that we can disagree upon I think. I respect your opinion.

I would like to see a few more conservative justices on the court too, but more so because of abortion and gay marriage, than Obamacare.

The "administrative" branch is closed after 5pm. These are non-essential. The ones who have had power given to them, not by the people (ie. EPA, DOE, etc.). Yes, our military is 24/7, same for FBI, but then again, the Constitution makes that the Federal government job. And other than the post office, pretty much it.

Unfortunately, the Obamacare law is not a tax. The bill does not cite it as a tax. Nor did the Obama administration argue it was a tax. The fact the Supreme Court ruled Obamacare is a tax, makes the law unconstitutional as it originated in the Senate since only the House can originate revenue (Tax) bills. Obamacare is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. 

Defunding would not shut down the government. It is the House that funds.They have the complete power of the purse and if they so choose can not fund it via reconciliation. Obama would have no hand in it. While it would remain on the books, it would not be able to function or be enforced. This chokes off money.

We do have more "conservative" justices. In fact, it is 5-4. Unlike the left, who never flip conservative, it is the so-called conservatives who have flipped, namely Anthony Kennedy (Reagan's 3rd choice behind Robert Bork and Douglas Ginsberg) and John Roberts (Bush 43).  These two have sided with almost every left leaning decision, from Obamacare (where Roberts actually legislated from the bench by calling Obamacare a Tax when the law states it is a fine and not a tax) to the federal government classifying marriage (again, those powers not cited in the constitution , the federal government does not have any authority over, It is clear that is left to the states, period).  The Bush clan is responsible for Sotomayer (Souter was appointed by Bush 41) and ceding that seat. 

The only way for there to be a people's reversal is via Article 5, whereby there is a convention of the states. At that point, everything from banning abortion to banning gay marriage can be achieved away from all 3 branches and none can stand in the way of the people. Those founding fathers were brilliant.