An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can I use a missal from 1867 for following this sunday TLM mass ?

NadaTeTurbe

I'm invited at the mass of a brother's friend. He's a traditionnalist priest. The only old missal I have at home was printed in 1867. Can I still use it to follow the mass ? Or there was alteration between 1867 missal and 1962 ? Thank you. 

MarysLittleFlower

That's pretty impressive that you have such an old missal! :) there may have been changes in the calendar perhaps or details - maybe someone knows more. The main parts like the Creed, etc, should be the same. I'm sorry I don't know more but I thought of how my parish has little missals for Mass for visitors, I'd recommend looking at the back or asking someone if there are little missals you could borrow or little booklets with the day's readings. My parish has those on Sunday and so did another Latin Mass parish I've been to but I'm not sure if that is done everywhere. I think you'll still be able to follow the basic structure and prayers without one. Don't worry if you get lost! :) everyone does at first - just listen and pray interiorly, and you might like it more than stressing over the missal and where to go. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

No. Extraordinary form is the Mass of John XXIII. 

(Caveat: In the case of, say a Zombie Apocalypse, it would be a licit book to use if you found current books impossible to find.) 

Finally, I called the parish. They asked what were the gospel, etc... for the fourth sunday of advent in my missal, and since it was the same, it's okay, I'll be able to follow. Thank you :) 

Funny thing - at the end of the mass, there's a "you can pray this prayer for our Emperor Napoléon III".