An Old School Catholic Message Board

Becoming a nun before the age of 18

Discerning13

I know that most religious orders nowadays will only accept women from the age of 18, but would any accept younger women (e.g. Aged 15, 16) with special permission from a bishop or other 'high-up' clergy member? St Thérèse got this permission aged 15, but that was a long time ago. 

(This is purely theoretical; I don't plan to become a Sister until I have been to college and experienced the world a little.)

According to the 1983 Code of Canon Law:

Can. 643 §1. The following are admitted to the novitiate invalidly:

1/ one who has not yet completed seventeen years of age;

They accepted one 16, almost 17 year old who was very mature and that was 6 or 7 years ago.  The last few years they have only had a few each year that were 18 and had just graduated high school. 

A friend's niece entered an order overseas when she 15, almost 16, but she remained a postulant for three years, which is a very long time indeed.  While she was especially devout and mature they felt she needed more time.  She's happily professed now.

Edited by andibc

veritasluxmea

I've heard of this happening overseas- people entering and living as candidates, aspirants, and postulants for three or two years and then entering the novitiate when they're seventeen. Most notably in Italy and Argentina. I think the difference in culture makes them take a different approach to religious vocations 

• 4 hours ago, veritasluxmea said:

I've heard of this happening overseas- people entering and living as candidates, aspirants, and postulants for three or two years and then entering the novitiate when they're seventeen. Most notably in Italy and Argentina. I think the difference in culture makes them take a different approach to religious vocations 

• Yes this is true i know that for my country.Here it is called Academic aspiration.It means that girl (she need to be at lest high school age) enter monastery and live with the sisters and other aspirants.In that time she is going catholic high school and they are wearing postulate outfit.It is similar as boarding schools because students spend summer's at their homes.Then at the age of 17 she enter the order as postulant and continue with her formation.This is going like that in my country for others countries i do not have information.

The U.S. used to have a lot of aspirancies for high school girls. Communities found that they didn't work out too well, both because they were expensive and because not that many women actually entered AND STAYED. I do know that one president of LCWR in the last 5 or 6 years entered when she was 16 (and obviously stayed), but even she thinks it was probably unwise to enter that early. By the mid-1960s, almost all of them closed. Today, it would be highly unusual for any U.S. Community to accept a young girl before she completed high school. Some require a college degree, and many (most?) require evidence of some maturity before admission. Based on what I have observed, this is wise. 

There is a long video on YouTube--a vocation film from the 1950s--that focuses in the first 20 minutes or so on one community's aspirancy.  If I can find it later, I will post a link. It is interesting as a historical relic....

Edited by Nunsuch
correcting typos

This is Emma's mom.  Again, this is a subject I feel competent to comment on.  Emma always told me - and we discussed this many times because I was initially not in favor of her pursuing religious life - that the commitment you make in religious life is the same as that you would make as a married person - that is a commitment to remain faithful to the same person unto death.  Some people marry at 17 or 18 years old and stay happily married forever.  We all know people like that but the average 17 year old is no more ready for religious life than marriage.  Also, the world is a very different place that it was in the mid 19th century when St. There entered at 15.  I think, all things considered, convents would do better, and have better retention rates, if they made young women wait until after college and/or some work and life experience.  Emma has graduated from college and was teaching for several years before she seriously began to contemplate religious life.  I think she was better prepared and ready to make such a serious commitment.  She is still doing well and is very happy.

Lily May Gath

The years when the very popular orders have had large groups and many younger aspirants/postulants as many as 80% have left during the first year... I've been watching the most popular orders for 15 years... They have found that it doesn't work, and when they have changed their program many more have persevered in religious life

College time has many opportunities to grow and experience new things like Focus, and working, internships and volunteer programs are times to build your faith, gain skills and life experience that is never wasted, in discerning, in wherever life and the Lord takes you. College or something like sharing a home with others are a great way to learn how to live well alongside others outside of your own family.

If you spend a couple of years away from home spreading your wings you will still be only just into your twenties and options and opportunities are ahead of you. I would be very concerned and have serious reservations at any order that would even begin serious discernment with anyone not close to their 18th birthday as a minimum, other than the initial stages of visits, retreats etc.

May the Lord bless you and give you joy in your discernment. Persevering in a path in life for a short while like making it through college, or taking first steps in work, and gaining experience and qualifications are wonderful things to take with you into religious formation.

Spem in alium

One of my sisters entered at 13 and seems to have done what Zoe describes - she went to the school run by the sisters, but lived in the convent and with the other aspirants/postulants. It seems like she did have a longer aspirancy as I think she may have begun her postulancy around 15/16. She actually was in Rome at our motherhouse for novitiate which she has mentioned was a true blessing for her.

A couple of my sisters entered straight after high school (so 18/19), without going to university until they were required to study theology as sisters. I entered at the age of 23, with some university study already completed. I feel as though for me personally, having done that study and having had some life experience beyond school helped me to mature and discern better. 

11 minutes ago, Spem in alium said:

One of my sisters entered at 13 and seems to have done what Zoe describes - she went to the school run by the sisters, but lived in the convent and with the other aspirants/postulants. It seems like she did have a longer aspirancy as I think she may have begun her postulancy around 15/16. She actually was in Rome at our motherhouse for novitiate which she has mentioned was a true blessing for her.

The 1917 Code of Canon law permitted the novitiate to begin at 14 and final vows at 16.  I think several communities had early on recognized that human formation was just as important and increased their internal rules for age of acceptance.  

I watched the video posted previously, but skipped over a lot of L O N G segments.  What a trip to the past!  What was interesting to me was the childish sing-songey voices of the postulants/novices.  Would we find that in today's active, or even contemplative, communities?

Our Order of St. Paul of the Cross has a Pre-Aspirancy Program for 15-18yr old high school students. It is similar to those in Europe and is called Doves in the Cleft if you are interested. Aspirancy Program is at age 18 and then follows the discernment period that is postulancy/novitiate.

On 23/12/2015, 15:28:20, Francis Clare said:

I watched the video posted previously, but skipped over a lot of L O N G segments.  What a trip to the past!  What was interesting to me was the childish sing-songey voices of the postulants/novices.  Would we find that in today's active, or even contemplative, communities?

I don't know. I find that Catholic nuns sound 'girlier' than Orthodox nuns, but that might just be the kinds of music I listen to. It has been shown, though, that women's voices in general are a lot deeper these days than they were in ca. 1950s before we were a substantial part of the workforce.