An Old School Catholic Message Board

Little Sisters of the Lamb

Julie

I know them, I visited their motherhouse in France twice. They also study in my college. 

What do you want to know ? They are dominicans, but they also have St Francis of Assisi and Ste Edith Stein as Patron Saint. They're also called "Little sisters of St Dominic". They were founded by little sister Marie, who was a dominican sister, after Vatican II, at Paris, with the help of a franciscan brother who is their co-founder. Cardinal Schönborn of Vienna is their protector. They live in poverty, and they go doors to doors askind for foods to share, and they live only from the providence and donations, that's how they built their monasteries. They pray a lot. Tbh, I'm not super fan of their way of praying (lots of long songs, and "manducation", i.e, repetition of the word of God), but I understand why some people love it and it brings people to God. They have two divine office (+one on saturday with the "manducation" of Sunday's gospel), the eucharist and daily adoration. They have a special devotion to the lamb, their habit is blue, their motto is "hurted (or injured ? Not sure of the translation), I will never cease to love". They live in poverty. They are very friendly, kind and listening. They have a lot of vocations. There's also the Little brothers of the lamb, I think there's something like 50 brothers and 150 (or 250 ?) sisters. 

:) 

There's no age limit indicated on the website. You have to ask them by yourself, they're very listening, don't hesitate to call them ! 

I have a friend who visited them - from what I gathered from her, their life of poverty is similar to that of the Missionaries of Charity. They sleep on cots, not beds. Their meals are very simple, and they have little to no technology use (as opposed to other communities that may use cell phones, laptops, etc.).  I find their blending of Dominican and Franciscan life quite fascinating! 

Website: http://www.communautedelagneau.org/en/petites-soeurs-de-l-agneau/

Nada - 

Thanks for the good information. I thought the original poster was asking about a different order. 

And while I'm at it, can I say how much I admire your English? Even with lots of study, English can be confusing, but you express yourself very well in it. I think the word you're looking for in their motto is "wounded"; "Wounded, I will never cease to love." 

Anyway, keep up the good posts!

When I visited them, the sisters told us some fascinating stories about the people they meet when they're out. Like this time they met with Jeovah Witness, or this woman who was "I love Jesus, I love Mary, and I'm a medium, I spoke with the dead".I also remember a brother who was from Chile. I told him how I loved St Alberto Hurtado. He loved it too, and was called Alberto ! The day after our meeting, he gave me a nice image of Pope Francis. "It's the only picture I have, I used it as a bookmark, but I want to gave it to you." How nice ! As said KatherineH, they're not really into technology - they prefer face to face meetings ! 

Luigi, maybe you mistaked them with the "LIttle sisters disciples of the Lamb", an order of sisters who welcomes girls with Down Syndrom ? And thank you for your compliment :nun3:Speaking english on the internet is a very good tool to improve my level. Thank you for the word ! Again, this is a time where english have a nuance that French doesn't have. We use "blessé" for wounded, hurted, and injured, when english has subtle differences. That's why I love english :) 

• 2 weeks later...

That's really cool! 

Does anyone know how to contact them?

I'd really like to learn more about them.

A letter? A phone number? 

9 minutes ago, Julie said:

That's really cool! 

Does anyone know how to contact them?

I'd really like to learn more about them.

A letter? A phone number? 

Lumen Christi Monastery
36 South Boeke Street
Kansas City, KS 66101
USA
Tel./ Fax (+1) (913) 621-1727

26 minutes ago, das8949 said:

I was also confused about this, but those articles are about a different order. 

There are Little Sisters of the Lamb and Little Sister Disciples of the Lamb. :) confusing!

2 hours ago, katherineH said:

Lumen Christi Monastery
36 South Boeke Street
Kansas City, KS 66101
USA
Tel./ Fax (+1) (913) 621-1727

Thank you! 

I think I'll think about this a little, and then maybe write and ask for a little info.

SInce you were looking for an order who preach... They are kind of preacher. They meet random people and speak to them about God, Jesus, etc... They plant the seeds ! 

(btw, @beatitude , when I visited them, they told me that the Little Sisters of Jesus were their "Big sisters", and "without them, we could not exist." I was super proud :D)

I stayed with the little sisters of the lamb in november in their monastery in progress in Marseille.
It was very interesting to see their way of life!

liturgy: the sisters pray morning, evening and night prayer. As many french communities do, they sing with 2 - 4 voices. (they use the settings and music of André Gouzes) which sounds very beautiful, and they have a type of lectio build in their liturgy. They usually have daily adoration. Before every big feast, the community holds a night vigil from 23:00 - 5:00 at night with a lot of texts, songs, adoration and sometimes mass right after, very intense! 

community life: the sisters pray and eat together (meals are in silence) and they work together (in silence, household stuff). In the past the little sisters used to live in small apartments, but nowadays they are building monasteries. The communities are relativly small (up to 12 sisters) and every year, all sisters return to the motherhouse, from where they can be send anywhere in the world. The sisters always choose to live in the poorer quarters of a city and have also lived among roma and sinti people (don't know if this is the accurate english term)

poverty: poverty is very important to the little sisters. They sleep on a wooden bench, don't have running water in their bathrooms, etc. in this way they try to live like the poor. The sisters beg for their daily bread and have very touching stories about this. Just like the little sisters of Jesus, the little sisters of the lamb they are not working to solve poverty, but they become "poor among the poor", befriend them, becoming part of the local community.

The sisters were very friendly in accomodating me, did their absolute best to feed me (relience on providence can be pretty good, it was a feastday and there were apple pies!) and were very patient in translating/explaining stuff (french is not my first language). So if you are interested, just write them and come and see :)

• 1 year later...
McKayla Rogers

Hi! I am doing a report on this wonderful community and I seem to be unable to find an amount of members. Does anyone know? :|