An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ordered Humor - Fresh Start

Luigi

I think I messed up my last post to the Monastic Humor thread, so I'm re-booting. The old stuff is still available on the old thread, but I can't seem to add anything new. 

I'm also expanding the topic from monastic humor to "ordered humor" - silliness from any order. 

If you got 'em, post 'em!

From the Dominicans, for the Student Leadership Summit 2016 (SLS16 - http://www.sls16.com/) in Dallas, January 1-5: 

https://www.facebook.com/domcentral.vocations/photos/a.128268151545.106015.111070191545/10153294952266546/?type=3 
"St. Catherine of Siena did say to set the world on fire, right."

https://www.facebook.com/domcentral.vocations/videos/10153296780826546/ Friars-as-Star-Wars-characters video. Very lame, but they know they're being very lame, and it's so lame that it's funny. 

Dominican Friars sure seem to LOVE Star Wars :P 

Which reminds me of a lighthearted dilemma some of my friends were expressing a while ago:

"It's hard sometimes choosing between perks of the diocesean and religious priesthood. On the one hand, you can own a car. On the other, you look like a Jedi." 

• 4 weeks later...

From the Trappist abbey of Our Lady of Calvary in New Brunswick, Canada (once part of the British Empire and still connected to England in some ways): 

Friday 22nd [2016]. In Chapter, Brother Léo asked if the Queen of England had a council, the way Abbots do. She does. This led to a more delicate question from Léo: what does Prince Charles do? Does he have a job? Bede said he has no job, properly speaking. His job is to wait around, making ill-considered remarks from time to time about matters he thinks he understands. 

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't exactly humor - it's more like silliness. But it involves a monk. 

I thought about putting this in the old thread on beards, but I couldn't find it. So it goes here. 

"The Benedictine College beard season has come to a close and the winner for most pencils in the beard is......Fr. Simon Baker!" 

12705588_952405134838295_852476629209850

21 minutes ago, Luigi said:

This isn't exactly humor - it's more like silliness. But it involves a monk. 

I thought about putting this in the old thread on beards, but I couldn't find it. So it goes here. 

"The Benedictine College beard season has come to a close and the winner for most pencils in the beard is......Fr. Simon Baker!" 

12705588_952405134838295_852476629209850

That looks like a medieval method of torture.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Benedictine monks in Richardton, ND, 23 November, 2015:

A young woman from Louisiana walked into the Visitors’ Center this morning and asked if it’s true that monks are never supposed to laugh. Brother Benet Tvedten responded with a most hearty laugh which did not seem to edify her.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Trappists at New Melleray, abbey in Iowa, on or about the feast of St. Patrick: 

Our community marks Sundays and Solemnities with the serving of ice cream at our communal noon meal. We suspend this practice during Lent as a shared communal observance except on Saint Patrick's Day to celebrate our Irish patrimony. New Melleray Abbey was founded in 1849 by monks of Mount Melleray Abbey in County Waterford, Ireland. The connection between St. Patrick and ice cream is not as clear, however.

BarbTherese
On 2/14/2016, 5:28:47, Gabriela said:

That looks like a medieval method of torture.

............or penance.............

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From the New Melleray Trappist monks - Good to know!

July 20 - Brisit

Br. William, a monk from our daughter-house, Mount Saint Bernard Abbey in Leicestershire, England, arrived at New Melleray today.  His visit to New Melleray is not related to Great Britain’s “Brexit” from the EU. Br. William will participate fully in our liturgy, work, and all other aspects of life here. He is slated to return to England in October.

Edited by Luigi

• 4 weeks later...