An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ordered Humor - Fresh Start

Luigi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the Weekly Chronicle of the Trappist monks in New Brunswick, Canadia - first of all, I can't imagine monks listening to Skeeter Davis (old school country music), and second of all, this was before the US presidential election, but maybe they knew something? ... 

Sunday 6th. Father Roger replaced Father Clovis for Mass at the Sisters this morning. At lunch, we listened to Skeeter Davis songs including her 1962 hit, “The End of the World.”

• 1 month later...

The Christmas episode of "At Home with Jim and Joy" featured some of the friars from the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word. Jim told one of the Brother's "you can really see how humble the brothers are!" and Brother Leo responded, "Yes, we're proud to be humble."

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't so much humorous as insightful - but it also shows that even cloistered monks stay in touch with the mundane changes of life outside their walls. From the Trappist chronicler at Our Lady of Calvary in Canada: 

Tuesday 27th. An old friend of the community has re-appeared for a retreat. He is a blues man. Seems even the blues aren’t what they used to be: he finds that live blues audiences are becoming rougher.

A joke by Dom Walner, OSB : 

In a strict convent, religious sister have the right to say only two words every five years. 
On the day of the two words, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "Cold food." 
Five years later, Sr labertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr albertine : "Hard bed"
Five years later, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "I'm leaving."

Spem in alium
On Monday, January 09, 2017 at 10:18 PM, NadaTeTurbe said:

A joke by Dom Walner, OSB : 

In a strict convent, religious sister have the right to say only two words every five years. 
On the day of the two words, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "Cold food." 
Five years later, Sr labertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr albertine : "Hard bed"
Five years later, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "I'm leaving."

Haha! I've heard that joke usually with an end line:

After Sr/Br/whoever says "I'm leaving/I quit", the superior says: "I'm not surprised. You've been complaining ever since you got here."

:hehe2:

• 3 weeks later...

From the Trappist monks at OUr Lady of Calvary in New Brunswick: 

Brother Henry saw his Argentinian neurologist once again. Always a worthwhile visit, and always an interesting exchange afterwards. Back at his residence when someone suggested praying for America’s president elect, a nurse was stopped short. After looking at me in silence for a few moments she said: “Do you think he can be saved?”

These being Trappists, I'm sure the answer was "Yes."

• 3 weeks later...

From the chronicler at the Trappist monastery of Calvary in Canada, (dated 15 February, 2017). I know we have Canadians on board, and I know we've had discussions related to this topic. Personally, I have no  opinion on the matter, which I consider morally neutral. 

It was Québec’s once a year la poutine week while Graham was travelling, which gave rise to discussions with the Val Notre Dame monks concerning Dom Bede’s take on, even his knowledge of, poutine. At the end of today’s chapter, Bede reiterated his views: Acadian poutine (poutine rapée) yes; Québec poutine, thanks just the same."

• 3 weeks later...

From the Trappist chronicler at Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky, on a visit by Gethsemani's novice's to St. Meinrad's Abbey in Indiana: 

Each year, we invite the novices from St. Meinrad to visit Gethsemani, and once every two years, since our novitiate is longer, they reciprocate.

The novices and juniors at St. Meinrad welcomed us with open arms and lots of snacks. Lent was suspended due to the demands of hospitality, and we appreciate the sacrifice this meant for the novices and juniors there, though they generously assured us it was not too burdensome.