Luigi

Ordered Humor - Fresh Start

Luigi

From the Weekly Chronicle of the Trappist monks in New Brunswick, Canadia - first of all, I can't imagine monks listening to Skeeter Davis (old school country music), and second of all, this was before the US presidential election, but maybe they knew something? ... 

Sunday 6th. Father Roger replaced Father Clovis for Mass at the Sisters this morning. At lunch, we listened to Skeeter Davis songs including her 1962 hit, “The End of the World.”

Charbel

The Christmas episode of "At Home with Jim and Joy" featured some of the friars from the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word. Jim told one of the Brother's "you can really see how humble the brothers are!" and Brother Leo responded, "Yes, we're proud to be humble."

Luigi

This isn't so much humorous as insightful - but it also shows that even cloistered monks stay in touch with the mundane changes of life outside their walls. From the Trappist chronicler at Our Lady of Calvary in Canada: 

Tuesday 27th. An old friend of the community has re-appeared for a retreat. He is a blues man. Seems even the blues aren’t what they used to be: he finds that live blues audiences are becoming rougher.

NadaTeTurbe

A joke by Dom Walner, OSB : 

In a strict convent, religious sister have the right to say only two words every five years. 
On the day of the two words, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "Cold food." 
Five years later, Sr labertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr albertine : "Hard bed"
Five years later, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "I'm leaving."

Spem in alium
On Monday, January 09, 2017 at 10:18 PM, NadaTeTurbe said:

A joke by Dom Walner, OSB : 

In a strict convent, religious sister have the right to say only two words every five years. 
On the day of the two words, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "Cold food." 
Five years later, Sr labertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr albertine : "Hard bed"
Five years later, Sr Albertine goes to see the superior who ask her what she wants to say. Sr Albertine : "I'm leaving."

Haha! I've heard that joke usually with an end line:

After Sr/Br/whoever says "I'm leaving/I quit", the superior says: "I'm not surprised. You've been complaining ever since you got here."

:hehe2:

Luigi

From the Trappist monks at OUr Lady of Calvary in New Brunswick: 

Brother Henry saw his Argentinian neurologist once again. Always a worthwhile visit, and always an interesting exchange afterwards. Back at his residence when someone suggested praying for America’s president elect, a nurse was stopped short. After looking at me in silence for a few moments she said: “Do you think he can be saved?”

These being Trappists, I'm sure the answer was "Yes."

Luigi

From the chronicler at the Trappist monastery of Calvary in Canada, (dated 15 February, 2017). I know we have Canadians on board, and I know we've had discussions related to this topic. Personally, I have no  opinion on the matter, which I consider morally neutral. 

It was Québec’s once a year la poutine week while Graham was travelling, which gave rise to discussions with the Val Notre Dame monks concerning Dom Bede’s take on, even his knowledge of, poutine. At the end of today’s chapter, Bede reiterated his views: Acadian poutine (poutine rapée) yes; Québec poutine, thanks just the same."

Luigi

From the Trappist chronicler at Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky, on a visit by Gethsemani's novice's to St. Meinrad's Abbey in Indiana: 

Each year, we invite the novices from St. Meinrad to visit Gethsemani, and once every two years, since our novitiate is longer, they reciprocate.

The novices and juniors at St. Meinrad welcomed us with open arms and lots of snacks. Lent was suspended due to the demands of hospitality, and we appreciate the sacrifice this meant for the novices and juniors there, though they generously assured us it was not too burdensome.

Luigi

Father Paul Miranne, OSB of St. Joseph's Abbey in Louisiana died recently. The abbey chronicler wrote a... it's not exactly an obituary, and it's not exactly a biography, so what would you call it... an interpretive summary of his life? 

At any rate, these assignments are delicate, but an effective writer with a good vocabulary can tell the truth and still cast his brother in a positive light. (Some of Mother Duchesne's sisters had to rise to the same challenge when their personal testimony of her was being collected for her canonization process.)

"He taught mathematics, Latin, civics and chant in the high school division of Saint Joseph Seminary from 1950 to 1964.  He was also vice-rector of the seminary and one of its prefects of discipline.  That title suited him perfectly:  he was a stern disciplinarian and taskmaster, with a basilisk stare and the uncanny ability to materialize just when furtive infractions had reached the point of no return.  Generations of seminarians and priests looked up to him as a cherished mentor, whose terse castigations – more stinging than any lash – they could appreciate better after they graduated, and a rich treasury of his rebukes is a staple whenever alumni gather.

I don't put a lot of stock in this pre-Vatican/post-Vatican, liberal/conservative, Latin/vernacular croutons, but Father Paul Miranne - THAT'S a priest! And so is the chronicler!

Luigi

Two in short order from Brother Chronicler at Our Lady of Calvary Trappist abbey in New Brunswick, Canada: 

Wednesday 19th. The travel book we have been listening to visited England during Lent, Scotland after the Resurrection. Mere coincidence? Readers, you decide. 

Thursday 20th. Monks like us, baby we were born to read and now it seems we were also born to hear Bruce Springsteen’s story in his own words as we begin a new refectory audio book, Born to Run.

Luigi

This nearly 10-minute video is from St. Benedict's abbey in Kansas. The second half is serious (monks are basically serious, wouldn't you say?), but the first half is all fun... and quite funny in places. I particularly like the part about Brother Pius. He's apparently the true test of fraternal charity in the monastery. 

https://www.facebook.com/kansasmonks/videos/1313969222015216/

Luigi

This is a one-paragraph biography of a Dominican friar. It does have a slightly humorous correct sentence, but it also has a funnier typographical error. Highlights are mine.

"Fr. Timothy was born and raised in Kansas City, MO. He is the eldest of four children and is grateful to have received a devout, Catholic upbringing from his parents and extended family. In his Junior year of college at Truman State University, the Blessed Mother prevailed upon him to surrender his life to the Lord. This meant many things, including transferring to the seminary and drinking less beer. Upon graduating from Conception Seminary College in 2003, he entered the Dominican Order. After finishing theology studies at the Dominican Stadium in 2010, Fr. Timothy’s first three years of ministry were spent teaching theology at Fenwick High School in Oak Park, IL. Knowing how important faith formation was during his college years, Fr. Timothy is grateful for the opportunity to work in campus ministry and to do so with and among the wonderful resident parishioners at St. Tom’s."

Maybe he majored in baseball? I know a lot of Dominicans play in the major leagues... Joachin Andujar used to bill himself as One Tough Dominican...

Luigi

This isn't so much humor as much as it is just a plain old-fashioned oddity. The Benedictine monks at Subiaco (in Arkansas, not Italy) are apparently somewhat famous for these photographs. I have not even a conjecture about how it came to pass.  Subiaco's caption reads: "The angus association will feature our herd and Subiaco Abbey in an upcoming publication. Several Subiaco folks were interviewed. The famous calf on the barn roof an object of interest."

Image may contain: horse, sky and outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by Luigi