An Old School Catholic Message Board

When Someone You Know Isn't Receiving in a State of Grace

tinytherese

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
On 5/11/2016 at 11:32 AM, CatherineM said:

My point was that I am not capable of knowing whether someone is in mortal sin. That judgement isn't my call. 

unless they have told you and refuse to believe what they are doing is bad. :) and hence not sorry for what they are doing

CatherineM
3 hours ago, Tab'le De'Bah-Rye said:

unless they have told you and refuse to believe what they are doing is bad. :) and hence not sorry for what they are doing

You still don't know how Jesus will judge them. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

oh holy scripture tells us to cold shoulder such a person that refuses to admit the sin they are committing is bad, because if they don't than they can not be sorry for what they have done or are doing. I guess it isn't judging, it is discipline in love, tough love. And yes only God can judge in the sense i'm assuming you are talking about. But truly an unrepentant Christian that is unrepentant is doing something that is bad, it is not necessarily the sin but the lack of sorrow for the offence.

oh i forgot to add that we must do everything within our resources to encourage them to repent 1st, a few months 1 on 1, and if that doesn't work alert an elder and confront the sinner with them and discuss the situation, again keep trying for a few months, and if still the person is still unrepentant one needs to alert the Shepard and confront the person with the elder and the Shepard. And if all this fails holy scripture tells us that we are to cold shoulder the person and ignore them in the hope that they repent, )or perhaps the person is a wolf in sheeps clothing and will leave, or a goat even.) The brackets are just thinking out loud not biblical and could be way wrong.

BarbTherese

............and hope and pray someone will do likewise for me.  I too am a sinner..............

BarbTherese

Michael Arnold - Catholic Answers

http://www.catholic.com/blog/michelle-arnold/non-catholics-in-the-communion-line

When the Church's guidelines are not heeded

Despite all of these precautions, there may be times when someone who in not properly disposed to receive Communion receives Communion anyway. It is more likely that a layperson will notice this than will a member of the clergy.

Clergy have the authority to counsel people not to receive Communion; laypersons have the authority to make the guidelines for receiving Communion known. In a previous blog post, I offered these suggestions to laity concerned about the proper reception of Communion by non-practicing Catholics or non-Catholics:...................................

..............................................................I know this Catholic is leading an immoral life and should not be receiving Communion. How do I stop him from doing so? Again, be careful about deciding what you do and do not know. You may be wrong. Or, it may be that the person is going to confession on a regular basis and is struggling with the sin. Suggestion: If the sin is particularly scandalous, this is the time to talk privately with the pastor. Give him the information. Then trust him to handle it in an appropriate manner. It is unlikely that the pastor will be able to tell you anything about how he handles the matter. Give it over to him and then do your best to put the whole thing out of your mind.

Bottom line:

We must accept that human persons have free will, and may freely choose to use it either positively or negatively. We can offer information. When we have the authority to do so, we can counsel accordingly. In a few individual cases, it may be that ecclesial authorities can take more drastic steps to protect the Blessed Sacrament from unworthy reception.

But there is only so much we can do to inform, counsel, and instruct. In the end, ultimate responsibility for worthy reception of Communion belongs to the individual communicant. We can trust that God knows that communicant's mind and heart, and that he will respond to that person accordingly.

Nihil Obstat

Seems rather... ultra vires to refer to Canon 915 only obliquely as applying in only a few individual cases. The law itself seems very much to contradict that interpretation.

• 1 month later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
On 6/17/2016 at 7:25 AM, CatherineM said:

I've seen a priest deny someone communion, and it isn't pretty. 

i've never actually seen it but i live in great fear that i will but really i shouldn't because if i ever was refused it would be for my benefit and eternal salvation and the salvation of other souls i can save if i were to be right with the LORD! Refusal of communion seems way better then ex communication. I say 'YES' to refusal of communion, bring it back and satan will have a heart attack, lol. :) 

I could be wrong as i don't trust myself without a doubt, lol, unsure whether i even should really as i'm not God. :P