An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Predicts their Order's(or theirs') Death

Thijs

From NYT "That stark fact, and the concomitant drop in the number of nuns to 17 from 72, explains why the Sisters of Our Lady of Christian Doctrine decided to do some estate planning. “It’s looking at the fact that we’re not going to live forever,” Sister Veronica, the order’s president, said.

Wikipedia says that, the Sisters of Our Lady Of Christian Doctrine was founded in New York City in 1910, the Sisters are a diocesan congregation. They run a retreat center in Nyack, where the motherhouse is located. The congregation has 17 members (2015), down from a high of 72. Due to their dwindling numbers, they sold 75% of their grounds to the Trust for Public Land, to preserve the grounds for future generations.

It's quite sad. But as I am reading the book about Mother Teresa (my spiritual reading, I forgot the title) when she address a group of religious in Belgium I guess also on some religious sisters who wanted to join the Missionaries of Charity, she encourage them to kneel before the Blessed Sacrament, rediscover and go back to the charism envision by their foundresses.

I believe maybe they should go back to their habits, make their presence be known everywhere, befriending younger generation of priests perhaps, being orthodox , meet discerning young people or have an active facebook page or here at Phatmas.

Maybe like the Daughters of Charity in Washington allowed younger vocations to wear the habits though perhaps the older ones may not (also Clyde Benedictines) has been successfull on this), God's will, they may attract women to join them.

Also maybe one of the ladies here may visit them, maybe refer a friend or perhaps those who left some religious communities while in formation but still has vocation for religious life.

God knows. Let's pray.

Maybe.  There are stories of communities that get an influx of younger sisters.

There are also plenty of conservative, habit-wearing communities that haven't gotten new vocations in a long time.

Religious life in its various forms isn't going anywhere.  But any individual community may have a lifespan and that's okay.  New communities are forming all the time, it stands to reason that some others may come to an end.

Habits doesn't make a vocation. I know plenty of community with habit (one with full habit - wimple and all), and no vocations. It's just that communities with habits who receive vocations have more publicity. 

I read somewhere that the median "life expectancy" for a religious congregation is of 300 years old. Also, I was reading a list of the religious congregations founded in my diocese - something like HALF of them died, and not after VII, way before (congregation founded around 1800's, died in 1870's, etc...). Sometimes, a congregation is needed during a time, and then it had to die, so to let the place to newer congregations. 

This community was never large, and was founded for a specific purpose (Catechesis) that really may no longer be necessary, particularly with the greater involvement of lay catechists. If you want to know more about the community, there is a history: http://www.amazon.com/Neighbors-Missionaries-History-Christian-Doctrine/dp/082323987X/http://www.amazon.com/Neighbors-Missionaries-History-Christian-Doctrine/dp/082323987X/

In some cases, I think complacency was involved too.  They never had to actively recruit or advertise - they got their members from girls who used to be students or on the recommendation of the parish priest.  When numbers dropped, I think some thought it was temporary or just didn't know how to cope.  Some attempts were too late. 

5 hours ago, Thijs said:

From NYT "That stark fact, and the concomitant drop in the number of nuns to 17 from 72, explains why the Sisters of Our Lady of Christian Doctrine decided to do some estate planning. “It’s looking at the fact that we’re not going to live forever,” Sister Veronica, the order’s president, said.

Wikipedia says that, the Sisters of Our Lady Of Christian Doctrine was founded in New York City in 1910, the Sisters are a diocesan congregation. They run a retreat center in Nyack, where the motherhouse is located. The congregation has 17 members (2015), down from a high of 72. Due to their dwindling numbers, they sold 75% of their grounds to the Trust for Public Land, to preserve the grounds for future generations.

It's quite sad. But as I am reading the book about Mother Teresa (my spiritual reading, I forgot the title) when she address a group of religious in Belgium I guess also on some religious sisters who wanted to join the Missionaries of Charity, she encourage them to kneel before the Blessed Sacrament, rediscover and go back to the charism envision by their foundresses.

I believe maybe they should go back to their habits, make their presence be known everywhere, befriending younger generation of priests perhaps, being orthodox , meet discerning young people or have an active facebook page or here at Phatmas.

Maybe like the Daughters of Charity in Washington allowed younger vocations to wear the habits though perhaps the older ones may not (also Clyde Benedictines) has been successfull on this), God's will, they may attract women to join them.

Also maybe one of the ladies here may visit them, maybe refer a friend or perhaps those who left some religious communities while in formation but still has vocation for religious life.

God knows. Let's pray.

It's sad, but it happens and is to be expected of many communities.It's up to them how they go about things, maybe they can turn things around through some sort of renewal or reform. But given their decline, and the general state of vocations on that side of the world, I doubt it.  I wouldn't personally advocate joining a community to try and change it though. It's best to simply say those energies are best spent discerning with a community that is where God would want you (probably one that you'd like to see this group become). That's not to say that new blood do not seek to make positive changes and bring orders back into a positive renewal (sometimes called a realignment or rebalancing of the past reforms). I would say this has occured, and is occuring, in orders such as the Jesuits (mine:smile2:) and the Dominicans. It is occuring elsewhere too, of course. I've seen some positive changes in Monastic settings too -  a greater focus on the richness and beauty of the liturgy etc.

In terms of habits etc I think I understand what you're saying, in that you're using habits as an example of how a community has gone through reflection, then renewal and then this has led to growth. The return to clothing habits can be a sign of that. However, like some have said, a habit is not a success factor on its own. I would say a certain type of spirit, outlook, mission and energy (even among enclosed religious) is the key to growth. I've visited many a dead community in this regard, so I sort of relate it in this way.

On 1/20/2016, 6:59:50, truthfinder said:

In some cases, I think complacency was involved too.  They never had to actively recruit or advertise - they got their members from girls who used to be students or on the recommendation of the parish priest.  When numbers dropped, I think some thought it was temporary or just didn't know how to cope.  Some attempts were too late. 

I agree. That's the case also of Sisters of St Rita. 

On 1/20/2016, 7:09:37, Benedictus said:

In terms of habits etc I think I understand what you're saying, in that you're using habits as an example of how a community has gone through reflection, then renewal and then this has led to growth. The return to clothing habits can be a sign of that. However, like some have said, a habit is not a success factor on its own. I would say a certain type of spirit, outlook, mission and energy (even among enclosed religious) is the key to growth. I've visited many a dead community in this regard, so I sort of relate it in this way.

Yep, also like thriving organizations, you need to adopt, thrive and continue to recruit or train people according to the mission of your organizations.
Much more than a habit, I'll go for orthodoxy. Apostles of Interior Life sisters is not wearing any habit at all but look at what the amazing things they're doing for the Church.

Also who knows one of the ladies here may led by God to join this community?

3 hours ago, Thijs said:

I agree. That's the case also of Sisters of St Rita. 

Yep, also like thriving organizations, you need to adopt, thrive and continue to recruit or train people according to the mission of your organizations.
Much more than a habit, I'll go for orthodoxy. Apostles of Interior Life sisters is not wearing any habit at all but look at what the amazing things they're doing for the Church.

Also who knows one of the ladies here may led by God to join this community?

Never heard of them until now, but they remind me of the Verbum Dei Missionary Fraternity. They have some great sisters and priests.

Yes orthodoxy would form part of my 'spirit, outlook, mission and energy' list as keys to growth. Those who have served their purpose or have grown tired or gone astray will die. I guess the question is: 'Who would want to join something in such a radical way if it was less than strong and authentic in those regards?'. I guess that's the problem many orders and parishes have found themselves not addressing. It's the key factor, or a leading one anyway, as to why I think many are having a slow death (or not so slow for some).