An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help me find contemplatives?

Kayte Postle

So this is a mini quest I need you research wizards on. Can you help me find contemplative orders (cloistered or non, either works)? Here are the essentials: daily adoration, time for rosary (private or community), full habit, strong sense of community, and devotion to Mary

But wait there's a catch, they can't be Poor Claires, Dominican, or Benedictine. I know I could not live the life of a Poor Claire, and I know I am not a Dominican. I've got my bases covered Benedictine wise, but I am looking at contemplative as a whole to see what's out there. 1, 2, 3, go!

Order of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

They are Contemplatives.They are not Cloistered.They have 2 hours of Works of Mercy on Wednesday and Friday and is optional Saturday,Sunday, or Monday.They have 2-3 hours of Adoration a day.They hope to have perpetual Adoration when they have 12 members.They wear a full habit.(The only thing missing is the wimple but they have a collar and a cap and nice long blue veil.)They have Fellowship during Breakfast and Dinner and the First Sunday of the Month is Recreation Day where they have a picnic,play basketball,eat alot and play card and board games.They strive to imitate Mary during her Contemplative life in Nazareth always thinking about Jesus.They are not Poor Clares,Dominican, or Benedictines.

Sorry I love this order I would go on and on.

I was just wondering myself if Benedictines have Eucharistic adoration. I think many communities do not. Does anyone know for sure?

4 minutes ago, Immanuel said:

I was just wondering myself if Benedictines have Eucharistic adoration. I think many communities do not. Does anyone know for sure?

Most Benedictines do not have daily adoration. Their prayer life is centered around the liturgy, so the mass and divine office.There are exceptions to this like the Benedictines of Perpetual Adoration.

Edited by Kayte Postle
i can't spell

The Carmelites tend to be too austere for me. I do have some minor medical issues that I know most Poor Clares and Carmelites wouldn't be able to accept me. (I forgot to mention them in the op my apologies)

Edited by Kayte Postle

Well I'm familiar with the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth, although they are pretty austere and it sounds like that's not what you're looking for.  They do have all of the things you listed though.  I imagine the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate would also have all of that but in order to enter their contemplative branch you have to go through formation in the active missionary branch first and besides all of that, they're still under visitation by the Vatican.  Or perhaps the Sisters of Bethlehem?  I believe there is also a contemplative branch of the Missionaries of Charity and the SSVM.  And I'm officially out of ideas :) 

Pink Sisters (Holy Spirit Sisters of Perpetual Adoration): http://www.mountgraceconvent.org/ There are large convents in Philadelphia and St. Louis (that's the hyperlink), and smaller communities in Corpus Christi, TX and Omaha, NE. 

One glitch - you don't always stay where you enter. They're cloistered, have 24/7 adoration, sung liturgy of the hours, and full habit. But your superiors could send you to a convent in Argentina or Holland or India or the Philippines. 

6 hours ago, Immanuel said:

The one i was in only had adoration for about half an hour before compline on Fridays, I didn't enjoy it at all,  and was spoiled from perpetual adoration in a small room inside our church where i am back at now.

11 hours ago, superblue said:

The one i was in only had adoration for about half an hour before compline on Fridays, I didn't enjoy it at all,  and was spoiled from perpetual adoration in a small room inside our church where i am back at now.

Yes, I am spoiled in the same way!

23 hours ago, John Paul said:

Order of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

They are Contemplatives.They are not Cloistered.They have 2 hours of Works of Mercy on Wednesday and Friday and is optional Saturday,Sunday, or Monday.They have 2-3 hours of Adoration a day.They hope to have perpetual Adoration when they have 12 members.They wear a full habit.(The only thing missing is the wimple but they have a collar and a cap and nice long blue veil.)They have Fellowship during Breakfast and Dinner and the First Sunday of the Month is Recreation Day where they have a picnic,play basketball,eat alot and play card and board games.They strive to imitate Mary during her Contemplative life in Nazareth always thinking about Jesus.They are not Poor Clares,Dominican, or Benedictines.

Sorry I love this order I would go on and on.

I didn't know such an order existed, i wish i would have looked into them when i had the chance.