An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Monastic Practice of Silence

Swami Mommy

MarysLittleFlower

To me, silence is being alone with God, and if we can't get much silence in our state of life we can still make an inner place with Christ where we are alone with Him in interior silence. I think that's maybe a Carmelite spirituality idea.

When I visit the Sisters silence is one of the most beautiful parts. I find that I am more attentive to those around me when I am in silence. You notice more about a person, and pick up on subtle clues about how they are feeling.

I also found keeping silence is not about me but it is an act of charity. I never know when someone might have an unexpected moment of prayer and I would feel bad if I interupted their prayer but some unnessecary comment.

The week I spent in a convalescent home after my hip replacement in late November made me wish I was in a community of Trappists.  Only about 15 other residents, but there were two TVs, in different parts of the facility, always on, and at pretty high volume, since not a few of the oldsters [I was one of the youngest there, at 69] had hearing difficulties.  I had a choice of endless inane talk shows or watching bigger animals eating smaller ones [one guy was addicted to the Discovery Channel].  No soundproofing in the building's construction, either. My "noise-cancelling" earphones weren't really adequate.

I was actually entitled to remain two weeks, but fled after one.  I CRAVED silence.  So, of course, so I wouldn't be "lonely", my daughter brought the grandchildren to visit every day. {ages 4 1/2, and 18 months]  They are sweet kids, but I was on the verge of becoming a child murderer after a week of that.

The soul, of whatever religion, needs peace and quiet as much as food and shelter, I've come to believe.

Here's the thing about silence for me.  In order for me to truly bathe in the bliss of interior and exterior silence, I seem to fare much better when I am also totally alone.  Communal silence is great, but sometimes the energy fields of other people around me, silent though the people may be in speech, feels claustrophobically loud and crowding in an energetic sense. For example, my husband and I are now retired, and even when he is tucked away in a different part of the house and is not making any audible noise, I still feel the 'noise' of his presence in my awareness.   I DO love the physical and mental sensation of moving through the day completely alone.  I'm like a hermit wannabe!

On 2/2/2016, 1:21:52, MarysLittleFlower said:

To me, silence is being alone with God, and if we can't get much silence in our state of life we can still make an inner place with Christ where we are alone with Him in interior silence. I think that's maybe a Carmelite spirituality idea.

St Catherine of Siena  speaks of such things, as do other saints, but the Carmelites seem to be especially vocal about it perhaps. 

1d9f516bb383bb8236b3935690de90c2.jpg

Just now, vee said:

St Catherine of Siena  speaks of such things, as do other saints, but the Carmelites seem to be especially vocal about it perhaps. 

1d9f516bb383bb8236b3935690de90c2.jpg

No pun intended!