An Old School Catholic Message Board

cloistered orders question

MarysLittleFlower

DominicanHeart

Partially unrelated, does anyone know if there's a phone number to contact the Poor Clares Mother Angelica's Order?

1 hour ago, DominicanHeart said:

Partially unrelated, does anyone know if there's a phone number to contact the Poor Clares Mother Angelica's Order?

Not one that seems to be publicly available, just an email: vocations@olamnuns.com

There is a difference between papal enclosure and constitutional enclosure. Most Benedictines, because of their attention to hospitality and manual labor, keep constitutional enclosure.

The Benedictines of Mary assured one of my clients that they would consider applicants on an individual basis and NOT only by age. I can't tell you if they have kept to this or not, but I did see the letter personally, and it was written by the same Mother they have now.

If this is a real, deep concern for you, I would strongly recommend that you do not get too attached to a traditional cloistered community that has papal enclosure unless they accept externs. There are plenty of cloistered contemplatives who do allow their nuns to leave for personal reasons, so this is something you need to be upfront about and keep the communication honest. 

I hope this helps.

Edited by SNJM
Typos!!! As usual!!

DominicanHeart
8 hours ago, SNJM said:

There is a difference between papal enclosure and constitutional enclosure. Most Benedictines, because of their attention to hospitality and manual labor, keep constitutional enclosure.

The Benedictines of Mary assured one of my clients that they would consider applicants on an individual basis and NOT only by age. I can't tell you if they have kept to this or not, but I did see the letter personally, and it was written by the same Mother they have now.

If this is a real, deep concern for you, I would strongly recommend that you do not get too attached to a traditional cloistered community that has papal enclosure unless they accept externs. There are plenty of cloistered contemplatives who do allow their nuns to leave for personal reasons, so this is something you need to be upfront about and keep the communication honest. 

I hope this helps.

That is fascinating 

Perhaps if you call the Shrine in Hanceville they would be able to direct your call.  The number is, I believe, 205-795-5717

be_thou_my_vision

I think the Passionist nuns allow their Sisters to go home for a dying family member and funeral. They have Constitutional Enclosure.

Edited by be_thou_my_vision

MarysLittleFlower

I see! thanks everyone :) I'll still correspond and try to visit the really cloistered order and maybe talk about this with them (like what they'd suggest), but after I'll also explore orders with a different type of enclosure or non cloistered contemplatives like the Benedictines. Maybe I can write to them and ask about the age limit in the future. I'll take it one community at a time so it's not too overwhelming :) I learned some things from this thread :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

In answer to your question about dying parents and funerals regarding the Benedictines of Mary, the answer is yes, they do allow the sisters to travel home for these things. When you are able to write to Sr. Scholastica, the subprioress, you will find that she is amesome. She is in charge of vocations.