An Old School Catholic Message Board

cloistered orders question

MarysLittleFlower

7 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

Unfortunately there aren't that many. The only one I can think of that's in the US is the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Institute of Christ the Sovereign King is another one but that's based in France.

They're in Italy, and they have american nuns ;) 

genesisweavers

Peace to you + I'm not sure about illness but I know that in the case of a death of a parent the Monastic Sisters of Bethlehem do go home for the funeral.  This also applies to Sisters in formation - i.e. novices and postulants.  Also if the family lives in a different country than the Sisters is living at the time of the funeral - she still goes. 

Blessings - your brother john

MarysLittleFlower

Thank you! :) do you have any more information about this community? I tried looking them up online and they look really interesting, but I didnt yet find information about specific communities and where they are. 

DominicanHeart
53 minutes ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

Thank you! :) do you have any more information about this community? I tried looking them up online and they look really interesting, but I didnt yet find information about specific communities and where they are. 

Which community?

AuthorOfMyLife

The Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (in Massachusetts, link here: https://www.saintbenedict.com/) do seem to allow sisters to attend the funerals of family members. I was at a funeral recently as a musician, and two of their sisters were there, a "black veil" sister, obviously older and in charge, and a "white veil" sister, who (I was told) was either the grand-daughter or a distant cousin of the man who had died. This community loves TLM. They teach, so they are not "cloistered," but they may have a contemplative aspect of their work, since they seem to remain close to home. I hope this helps!

DominicanHeart
3 hours ago, AuthorOfMyLife said:

The Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (in Massachusetts, link here: https://www.saintbenedict.com/) do seem to allow sisters to attend the funerals of family members. I was at a funeral recently as a musician, and two of their sisters were there, a "black veil" sister, obviously older and in charge, and a "white veil" sister, who (I was told) was either the grand-daughter or a distant cousin of the man who had died. This community loves TLM. They teach, so they are not "cloistered," but they may have a contemplative aspect of their work, since they seem to remain close to home. I hope this helps!

Yeah they're active so I think they would allow it

On 2/4/2016, 5:58:51, MarysLittleFlower said:

I know there are also contemplative non cloistered communities... Are Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles like this?? Anyone know? Except that the age limit is 30. I see there are Benedictines that are contemplative mostly but not cloistered Does anyone know of any communities that are not cloistered and also happen to have the TLM?

Yes Mary'sLittleFlower, the Benedictines of Mary are non-cloistered contemplatives.  I will see them tomorrow and I can ask them about their policy on dying parents and funerals for you. I know they are open to exceptions for age depending on the person. Right now there are no non- cloistered contemplative communities in this country that have the TLM exclusively except the Benedictines of Mary, but there is one that is in the very beginning stages of being founded.  They are waiting for the bishop to approve the male branch of this community which is very close to being approved.  I cannot say anything more about it here.  If you want more information you can pm me.

DominicanHeart
37 minutes ago, inperpetuity said:

Yes Mary'sLittleFlower, the Benedictines of Mary are non-cloistered contemplatives.  I will see them tomorrow and I can ask them about their policy on dying parents and funerals for you. I know they are open to exceptions for age depending on the person. Right now there are no non- cloistered contemplative communities in this country that have the TLM exclusively except the Benedictines of Mary, but there is one that is in the very beginning stages of being founded.  They are waiting for the bishop to approve the male branch of this community which is very close to being approved.  I cannot say anything more about it here.  If you want more information you can pm me.

Wait I thought they were cloistered 

2 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

Wait I thought they were cloistered 

No, they can go out for things like ordinations, professions of the sisters if a bigger church is necessary to accommodate family, etc.  They are not cloistered but contemplative so they do not have an external apostolate which keeps them more enclosed than a semi-contemplative or contemplative-active community.:)

DominicanHeart
10 hours ago, inperpetuity said:

No, they can go out for things like ordinations, professions of the sisters if a bigger church is necessary to accommodate family, etc.  They are not cloistered but contemplative so they do not have an external apostolate which keeps them more enclosed than a semi-contemplative or contemplative-active community.:)

Are we talking about the Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles?

The enclosure rules for Benedictines, historically, are different from those of other religious. So are the vows and the rule. They are neither "enclosed" or "apostolic." This goes back to the earliest days, and can be observed throughout the Middle Ages, etc. In the US, in particular, part of the historical problem of their experience is that they were forced into one of the other two molds (usually apostolic), to meet the needs of the 19th century, mainly for teachers.  Part of the struggle of religious renewal, including in some of the most "progressive" Benedictine women's monasteries, was for re-establishment of true Benedictine monasticism, including the distinctive vows. Two books on this subject are: 

Judith Sutera, OSB, True Daughters: Monastic Identity and American Benedictine Women's History

Ephrem Hollermann, The Reshaping of a Tradition: American Benedictine Women, 1852-1881.

11 minutes ago, Kateri89 said:

So what happens in a cloistered community if there is a medical emergency?

They go to the emergency room or call an ambulance.