An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women's orders that work with human trafficking survivors

LoveZoe11

Hey all doing some research on women's orders that work with trafficking and prostitution victims. Any suggestions would be great!

:nun1:

Sr Linda Dearlove, a Sister of Mercy in England founded the Women at the Well group for sex workers in London.

Talitha Kum also works worldwide. In the article I read about them the  term "sisters" was in quotation marks,  but it works with the International

Union of  Superior Generals.

The Daughters of Charity of St Vincent De Paul have an apostolate fighting human trafficking.  I don't believe they work with victims directly but I know they have sisters very active at the policy-level.  I saw this article a few years ago, but I believe it is a different province of the DVP. 

I have a friend in the US who is part of a collaborative group with members from several communities internationally who minister and organize around this. If you p.m. me,  I will give you her name and email address.

I'm not sure if I know the exact name so I won't attempt to bungle it. However, this is an international  order and there are quite a few sisters in Los Angeles who are extremely active in this - long before it became "popular." You can find them by looking up their foundress, Mary Aikenhead, from Ireland. Sister Kathy Bryant, who did a lot of work in vocation work is now super involved. Some of you may recognize her name.

Edited by SNJM
Typos!!!

43 minutes ago, stlmom said:

Sisters of the Good Shepherd have a history of working with troubled women and girls.

Speaking of Good Shepherds sisters, they just celebrated 150 years in Myanmar and they are young still on their habits

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/in-myanmar-the-good-shepherd-sisters-celebrate-150-years-of-mission-93478/

When I was discerning I had a strong interest in such apostolates. The vocations directress of the Sisters of Life said they serve many women from such backgrounds. It's not an explicit mission of theirs,  but it goes with the territory. 

On 2/9/2016, 5:06:20, stlmom said:

Sisters of the Good Shepherd have a history of working with troubled women and girls.

Praised be Jesus Christ! Been meaning to post in here since first seeing this. I've been researching the history of the Good Shepherd Sisters a bit and it is very beautiful and interesting. 

They are a branch of the original Institute of Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge founded by St. John Eudes in 1641, specifically to work with women coming out of prostitution. Actually they were a separate institute from them, the Institute of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd founded by St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier in 1835 (http://www.goodshepherdsisters.org.ph/saints)  but the two formally merged just a couple years ago. There's a good summary of this here, http://sistersofthegoodshepherd.com/our-history/ The Sisters have several other apostolates now, like teaching and orphanages, but they continue in this work in some of their houses at least.

I went with a little pilgrimage group to Quito, Ecuador and we got to visit their house there actually. We went for lunch which was prepared by the women living there with the Sisters. They have an active and contemplative branch, and in Quito both branches were originally in the same building, although the contemplative Sisters moved to another region in Ecuador, so now the part of their house for the cloistered Sisters is a museum, which was fascinating, and very "Carmelite" :) The contemplative branch had brown habits too, and the tour guide said they tried to imitate Carmelites in many ways. I want to research this more sometime. I believe some of the contemplative Sisters were from these women they were serving who wanting to enter religious life and live a cloistered contemplative life. Here it is calling that part of their house a "solitude" and the contemplatives the Sisters Magdalens, http://www.buonpastoreint.org/ecuador-eng/news_1242/celebrating-135-years-of-the-good-shepherd-in-ecuador_1587    Maybe later I'll come back and post some of my pictures, although there aren't many because my camera was dying!

Anyway, this is all very interesting!