An Old School Catholic Message Board

Closure of the Year of Consecrated Life

juchu

How did you mark -  or how was it in your diocese - that the end of the year of consecrated life was marked ?

And what did this year mean to you ?

Maybe we can group some of it in one thread ?

For the French speaking part of Switzerland, there was a big meeting of brothers and nuns from normally cloistered monasteries. Here are some pictures :

http://www.notre-dame-de-fribourg.ch/up-notre-dame/journee-monastique

https://www.cath.ch/newsf/journee-monastique-a-cathedrale-de-fribourg/

Sponsa-Christi

I went to Rome for the conference for men and women in consecrated life that the Vatican sponsored. :) (And I ran into Letitia Crucis at the opening prayer vigil at St. Peters!)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Two of the US nuns were at the conference in Rome representing our Association. I was hoping I'd get to go but God had other plans! They were among the over 400 cloistered nuns which is the 1st time the cloistered nuns were officially at an event like this in St. Peter's!

Thanks for sharing juchu. The bishop of Fribourg is a Dominican!

IgnatiusofLoyola
4 hours ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

I went to Rome for the conference for men and women in consecrated life that the Vatican sponsored. :) (And I ran into Letitia Crucis at the opening prayer vigil at St. Peters!)

I'm SO happy for you that you ran into LC/SMC! I had heard she was in Rome for this conference. She is always interested in knowing what is going on with the members of Phatmass and I know she prays for us. Lucky you! I've never met LC/SMC in person (although we've talked on the phone), and considering my health, there's a good chance I will never meet her in this life. However, I have enough frequent flier miles (that expire at the end of 2016) that I could fly to England First Class for free! Perhaps God will find a way. LC/SMC will be taking her final vows in the fall of 2016. I wouldn't necessarily want to go to her perpetual profession ceremony since there will be so many people who want to talk to her, but I keep thinking about November since that is a "slower" month, and she and I might actually get a chance to visit a bit. BTW--LC's Community has a guest house if you are ever considering a visit. Obviously you would want to book ahead since it is often filled for retreats, etc.

DominicanHeart

Sad it's over. I just don't like how we overlap the years. The year of Mercy started while the Year for Consecrated Life was still going on. Why does it happen that way?

10 minutes ago, DominicanHeart said:

Sad it's over. I just don't like how we overlap the years. The year of Mercy started while the Year for Consecrated Life was still going on. Why does it happen that way?

It happens because religious people need a lot of mercy!

Sr Mary Catharine OP
2 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

To answer that you'll have to ask the Holy Father!
Juchu is right, though! We Dominicans when we are asked what we desire at the beginning of our profession ceremonies answer, "God's mercy and yours!" Imagine being a Dominican right now! We had the YCL, 800th Jubilee Year and the Year of Mercy all going on at once!  :-)

Spem in alium

Mercy is needed, alright! :) 

In my community, we celebrated by having me interviewed re. my vocation testimony. It was a great experience! ;)

We had a few archdiocesan celebrations last year, but our archbishop has been very unwell and since then things have seemed to be on the down-low. 

AveMariaPurissima

I have to admit, I didn't really do anything special to observe the Year of Consecrated Life.  But God did!  God has definitely working in my heart in a particular way over these past several months, and I realized the other day that it was precisely over the timeframe of the Year of Consecrated Life that He led me to discover/rediscover my vocation, which I believe is to religious life. :heart:

Spem in alium
35 minutes ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

I have to admit, I didn't really do anything special to observe the Year of Consecrated Life.  But God did!  God has definitely working in my heart in a particular way over these past several months, and I realized the other day that it was precisely over the timeframe of the Year of Consecrated Life that He led me to discover/rediscover my vocation, which I believe is to religious life. :heart:

How wonderful! I am so happy you are journeying to a discovery of your vocation. Every blessing! :) 

15 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

How time flies!  Seems the Year of Consecrated Life just began!

sr.christinaosf

The Presentation was kind of bittersweet for me because it meant the ending of this special year of grace for us.  It was the anniversary of my reception as a postulant, though.