An Old School Catholic Message Board

what is your prayer area like?

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Anyone want to share? :) I'll post a picture of mine when I'm around a computer because my phone is not letting me do that. 

Spem in alium

I have three primary ones: my bedroom, our convent chapel, and outside on the veranda. :) 

I generally pray before the Blessed Sacrament before sunrise, and really do like praying in darkness --- especially in the chapel, when the only light comes from the tabernacle lamp. In my room, what I like is keeping things simple. I can appreciate holy pictures, cards and statues, but not too many. I don't burn candles generally, but do have some battery-operated ones which I like to use at night. I don't have one concentrated prayer space in my room, mostly because it's very small, but I do have objects spread around which are useful for reflection. There needs to be space rather than many items, and not many things on the wall (I have a crucifix and a picture of the Divine Mercy). Essentially, my room needs to be like a mini chapel.

My favorite prayer area has four doors, a radio/source of music, air conditioning, air bags, automatic transmission, and no one but me in there.

MarysLittleFlower

Thanks for the replies everyone! Maybe I should clarify a bit... Maybe what does the prayer area look like? What images do you have?

3 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

I have three primary ones: my bedroom, our convent chapel, and outside on the veranda. :) 

I generally pray before the Blessed Sacrament before sunrise, and really do like praying in darkness --- especially in the chapel, when the only light comes from the tabernacle lamp. In my room, what I like is keeping things simple. I can appreciate holy pictures, cards and statues, but not too many. I don't burn candles generally, but do have some battery-operated ones which I like to use at night. I don't have one concentrated prayer space in my room, mostly because it's very small, but I do have objects spread around which are useful for reflection. There needs to be space rather than many items, and not many things on the wall (I have a crucifix and a picture of the Divine Mercy). Essentially, my room needs to be like a mini chapel.

I think that's so helpful for prayer not having too much clutter. I used to have a cluttery room and now try to keep it simpler and that's really helped in some way. My roommate and I have a prayer room ( "oratory") and we have a picture of the Sacred Heart, currently two statues, some books... Its more like a chapel. Its the first time I have something like this and I really like it. I love praying in the church when its dark too with just the Tabernacle lamp. I have the code to get in and sometimes go there to pray, and if its dark I don't bother to turn on the lights. I just find there's a certain intimacy with Our Lord there and you know its just Him and you :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

The sorriest little scrub woods you've ever seen, out behind the Humanities building. But I like it, as long as the pot heads don't invade while I'm back there.

Not A Real Name

I have two nice portraits from my grandparents, one of the Sacred Heart and one of the Immaculate Heart.  There is also the stations of the cross, and some statues (Our Lord, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter, and a small St.Thomas Aquinas). Also a couple icons and relics. 

Edited by Not A Real Name

Spem in alium
5 hours ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

I think that's so helpful for prayer not having too much clutter. I used to have a cluttery room and now try to keep it simpler and that's really helped in some way. My roommate and I have a prayer room ( "oratory") and we have a picture of the Sacred Heart, currently two statues, some books... Its more like a chapel. Its the first time I have something like this and I really like it. I love praying in the church when its dark too with just the Tabernacle lamp. I have the code to get in and sometimes go there to pray, and if its dark I don't bother to turn on the lights. I just find there's a certain intimacy with Our Lord there and you know its just Him and you :)

Yes, I find clutter really doesn't help me at all to pray, because I need to be able to be relaxed. That's one of the reasons why I like to simply be outside and meditate or pray, because there's really nothing (and often no-one) around. Plus, after a day of being at my desk, I like to be out in nature. Your oratory sounds nice. I have in my room three small statues - one of the Blessed Mother, one of the Blessed Mother with the Infant Jesus (which I really love), and one of St Joseph with the Child Jesus sleeping in his arms. :) 
I generally pray without lights, unless I am reading. :) I usually make my adoration when I know I will be alone. Something about the Eucharistic Lord resting in the tabernacle is just so intimate and exclusive. It's time for just me and Him. 

I have a little statue of St.John Paul II,St.Joseph,Mary,and a crucifix and a place for my Holy Cards and a bag for my Prayer Books or Chaplets.I also have another statue of Mary but it is a rosary holder.

10 hours ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

Thanks for the replies everyone! Maybe I should clarify a bit... Maybe what does the prayer area look like? What images do you have?

Images?! Why. That's idolatry I tell you!! IDOLATRY . . .

Actually I have not gotten too used to using statutes and stuff when I pray. I have a fair amount of religious art and stuff around the crib though. I will try to post some of it. But I don't typically pray directly in front of as statute or a crucifix or anything. I have only started that stuff recently.

I remember the first time I went to my local church and saw the big Mary statute it totally freaked me out. Now I like it though.