An Old School Catholic Message Board

significance of cross in a Carmelite cell

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I've heard somewhere that for Carmelites there's an empty cross above the bed in the cell, and that refers to the cross on which we must die. Is that true about the meaning? I thought that was quite beautiful. 

related question... Do they also get a crucifix to look at during prayer as well?

graciandelamadrededios

It doesn't take much work to empty the cell of a Carmelite.  There are so few things in it!  The furnishings include a wooden board on which a straw mattress rests and a large wooden cross without the figure of Christ, "a dry cross" as Saint John of the Cross would say.  The cross reminds the Carmelite that she must crucify herself in imitation of the Divine Spouse

In the Prioress cell there is no cross, but only a small table.  This custom may derive from the fact that the Mother Prioress has enough crosses with her office.

From the book: Following the Path of Divine Love: Saint Maravillas, O.C.D., Daughter of the Church and of Saint Teresa of Jesus by the Discalced Carmelites of Cerro de los Angeles and La Aldehuela, Spain.  Translated to English by the Carmelite Nuns of Bufallo, New York, 2011

BMN-650-BS_F.JPG?1330950365

BMN-654-BS_F.JPG?1330950336

"A crucifix to look at during prayer as well?"  Everything is prayer for them though!

It depends on the Carmel but Im guessing its unlikely to have a crucifix in the cell as well.  It used to be the custom, and perhaps in some Carmels it still is, to have a skull in the cell and in the refectory as a kind of "memento mori."

To me the empty cross in the cell and in the refectory relate to what Bl Elizabeth said "a Carmelite is one "who has beheld the Crucified, who has seen him offering himself to the Father as a victim for souls and, meditating in the light of this great vision of Christ's charity, has understood the passion of love that filled his soul and has willed to give herself as he did."

MarysLittleFlower
1 hour ago, DominicanHeart said:

That's what I thought I heard. We die with Christ upon the Cross. So beautiful 

It truly is :)

1 hour ago, vee said:

"A crucifix to look at during prayer as well?"  Everything is prayer for them though!

It depends on the Carmel but Im guessing its unlikely to have a crucifix in the cell as well.  It used to be the custom, and perhaps in some Carmels it still is, to have a skull in the cell and in the refectory as a kind of "memento mori."

To me the empty cross in the cell and in the refectory relate to what Bl Elizabeth said "a Carmelite is one "who has beheld the Crucified, who has seen him offering himself to the Father as a victim for souls and, meditating in the light of this great vision of Christ's charity, has understood the passion of love that filled his soul and has willed to give herself as he did."

Of course I agree everything for them is prayer :) I just like meditating on the Passion looking a crucifix... Although they probably have one in the chapel or somewhere. That's such a beautiful quote by Bl Elizabeth and I think it can relate to the empty cross too. 

graciandelamadrededios

I think I read somewhere (probably on their custom books) that the crucifix that is pinned under the scapular is taken off when they sleep and they pin it in their pillow - right side.

2 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

So much incredible symbolism to Carmelite life. :love:

isnt our faith amesome!

It probably depends on the Carmel but the one Im interested in also has a little quote for reflection pinned at the bottom of the cross.  IIRC the one that was in my cell for my live in said "keep Mary in mind and Jesus will grow in your heart" :x