An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite postulant outfits..2.0

FlowerofCarmel

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Actually, my experience growing up in New England was a lot of women doing just that. It was a simple, classy look and I haven't seen it as a regular thing outside of there. Sort of an LL Bean look, I guess.

Sister Leticia

I've seen quite a lot of young women who - for reasons of fashion and maybe finance - dress more or less the same each day, for example in black trousers and tops. The difference and individuality might come with accessories, such as belts and jewellery or interesting jackets. As Sr MC said, it's a simple, classy look.

Building up what's called a "capsule wardrobe" is quite easy - it's what religious who don't wear habits have to do! Google capsule wardrobe and you'll get something like this http://bemorewithless.com/how-to-build-a-capsule-wardrobe/

Sister, thanks for posting that link.  It's useful for we older women who have retired and are downsizing from the corporate wardrobe to simple basics.

Spem in alium

I dress in the same thing every day - white shirt and black skirt. I have 6 skirts I wear regularly (some more formal, others for daily use at home), at least seven blouses (as I wear a new one every day), and a few casual outfits (jeans, t-shirts, and a dress).
I've needed to shop a little more than usual as I approach my postulancy, as my wardrobe will change a bit. When I need something I generally try to look for sale items that are better-quality. Even if they're more expensive, they're more likely to last longer. 

IgnatiusofLoyola
20 hours ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

Actually, my experience growing up in New England was a lot of women doing just that. It was a simple, classy look and I haven't seen it as a regular thing outside of there. Sort of an LL Bean look, I guess.

That's exactly how I dress. Virtually everything I wear is from L.L. Bean or Lands' End. Their clothes are so classic and well-made that I have clothes from them that I've been wearing for 15-20 years (some maybe longer), and can be worn by women of any age.

• 10 months later...

Haha! old topic- but the JMJ Carmels have the Teresa of the Andes postulant dresses. And as to the attractiveness- I remember one sister once remarking that it is in the very nature of postulant dresses to make you long for the Holy Habit!

Our pastoral associate is a religious sister.  She wears a standard habit all the time (no veil) but it looks like a classy sort of casual outfit until one catches sight of the medium size crucifix on a chain around her neck - and obviously to appearance not some item of jewellery.

Her habit is 3/4 length dark blue skirt with white blouse (3/4 or long sleeves) - jumper for winter.  She also wears most often a sleeveless vest in the same material as the skirt.  During winter she wears just an ordinary overcoat, no particular colour but subdued.  She takes it off once inside.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, Sister Leticia said:

I've seen quite a lot of young women who - for reasons of fashion and maybe finance - dress more or less the same each day, for example in black trousers and tops. The difference and individuality might come with accessories, such as belts and jewellery or interesting jackets. As Sr MC said, it's a simple, classy look.

Building up what's called a "capsule wardrobe" is quite easy - it's what religious who don't wear habits have to do! Google capsule wardrobe and you'll get something like this http://bemorewithless.com/how-to-build-a-capsule-wardrobe/

Very interesting link - thank you for posting it, Sister :)  I am going to have a closer look tomorrow (10.58pm here in Sth Aust).  I am definitely a black trousers and tops, gal - but no belts and jewellery nor interesting jackets either.  The great thing about being 71years is to have lost the self consciousness or vanity whatever, in the main, of the much younger years - covered, neat and tidy does it for me nowadays.

I do think though that the religious habit (on a certain level) is such a wonderful advertisement (for The Gospel) and an evangelising means.  Some sort of wear that says without saying "I am a religious sister".

On 2/15/2016 at 9:15 PM, emma8201986 said:

My daughter wears a simple grey skirt and vest but the shirt has kind of a peter pan collar.  To me she looks like a high school student.  At least if she had a little veil,  it would be clear she is a sister.  She never says anything about it but I don't think she likes it.  I understand that  no one should care and it's a vanity to worry about clothes, but we're all human beings.   Sisters are still women and the young women entering today are mostly college graduates or women in the 20's - why make them dress like they are children? 

Because they're learning, and because we are called to be like children - to be childlike. Thus, there may be some significance in that area. :P

• 1 month later...

The Dominican Nuns of Buffalo, New York have an amazing postulant outfit! It reminds me of Julie Andrews' in the Sound of Music, classic and beautiful.