An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite postulant outfits..2.0

FlowerofCarmel

I think postulant garb is a good thing.  There are several reasons why I think this.  There are many appropriate styles although I do like the Carmelite and Nashville Dominican one and Swamimommy has some good ideas too except for the nylons which I detest, lol.  I know I've had to buy new clothes for some jobs I've had which wasn't cheap, so yea, having a list of things to bring makes sense to me.  In the two communities I was in, the sisters referred to me as Sister and my baptismal name. Was I technically a sister, no.  Did that bother me? Not at all. I just accepted it. As a postulant, although your obviously not a sister yet, you really are more than just an aspirant.  You've made a big decision to leave everything and follow Christ, and God willing you will continue on to vows.Technically as a novice, you're still discerning God's call, but by then you've got your new name and your habit and you are definitely more integrated into the community but you're not in vows and can still leave. The Buffalo and the JMJ Carmels still have the St. Teresa of the Andes postulant outfit with barely noticeable differences.

Spem in alium
3 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

But as we're on the subject, I do have a question about postulant outfits...

I've seen blogs, FB pages etc from young women in the US desperately trying to raise the money with which to pay off their loans. And some of these also have long lists of things to buy, including very specific blouses, skirts, shoes etc. I don't know how much this comes to, but I assume it could be a few hundred dollars, especially as much of the list seems to contain things no young woman would already own. And some of these -like the skirts, blouses and pinafores - are things they might only wear for 12 months or less. This seems really tough, on top of paying off huge loans.

Meanwhile, postulants in the same congregation they've applied to join might leave, sometimes after only a few months - or become novices. Either way, they won't wear certain things any more, ever again. So what happens to the clothes they will no longer wear? Are they given to their families or do departing postulants take them when they go home? 

Is there any way the congregation can keep things which are in good condition in order to offer them to those future postulants struggling to raise money? I know people come in different shapes and sizes, but even one or two items might be a help. As Sr MC said, postulants come and go and their clothing is temporary: so to me it seems sensible not to waste lots of money buying whole new outfits.

This is such a good point. I also have seen lists like that and have wondered about the costs. I can see the importance of buying clothing (particularly shoes) that will last, but yes, what does happen if the postulant leaves?

I wasn't asked to bring particular clothing, and actually wore plain clothes for the first few weeks before my superior, formation director and I bought some clothes for myself. What I particularly appreciate about my clothing is that it's simple and something I will wear later if I stay with my congregation, but it's also "ordinary" enough that if I did leave I could still wear it and feel comfortable. Though we do have a habit, some sisters wear a blouse and skirt which is very similar to my own dress. I find this similarity also important as it helps me to feel more a part of my sisters. It may be a different situation if there was someone else with me in formation -- if I were just wearing whatever I wanted, I think that would actually be far more isolating. 

Edited by Spem in alium

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Our list is very simple and if we have things on hand from former postulants the new ones can pick from them. On the other hand a community shouldn't have to be footing the bill for clothing for groups of postulants. I believe they do this in communities with large postulant groups as well.  People buy clothes all the time that they wear only a few times or maybe just once and no one thinks much about it.

Having a sort of criteria is helpful in the same way that schools have very specific items for the school uniform. The differences that can be difficult sort of go away when everyone is wearing pretty much the same "regulation" postulant clothing. It helps them bond as a group and helps them get to the real work of formation.

We sew the jumpers, veils, aprons, work coverall, and summer nightgowns and provide the bed linen and towels. But I can't imagine doing that year after year for 15-20 postulants!

The community Im interested in does have a postulant outfit and the only part of it I have to provide would be the white blouses/dress shirts.  I hear it also involves a skirt and a vest which they will provide.  Im glad its not Teresa of the Andes style or my head would get so swelled with vanity that it might not fit through the door.  The more I look like a dork the better it is for humility!  I have a general idea of the rest of the list and its basically stuff  I already have or they can provide. 

veritasluxmea
3 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

what does happen if the postulant leaves?

I think it's just a risk you have to accept. My uniform- not counting shoes and other items- costs about 400. But as an adult with a job, no loans. and supportive parents it's affordable. 

FlowerofCarmel

I personally prefer the "St Theresa of the Andes" version,(probably because I am discerning the Carmelite Life.) but that's just me. It reminds me of my ongoing relationship with God, the reverence one should keep in the monastery.

As for those that dislike the Peter Pan collar, see yourselves as Jesus Little one! 

dominicansoul

I never thought we looked like children in our ridiculous postulant uniforms.  I was just freaking happy I was in the convent!!! They could have made me wear a skirt with suspenders and a white blouse and huge hats and hold big lollipops in our hands and pigtails in our hair.  Lol!   I would have still been on cloud-9 enjoying every single minute of it!!!!

MarysLittleFlower
1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

I never thought we looked like children in our ridiculous postulant uniforms.  I was just freaking happy I was in the convent!!! They could have made me wear a skirt with suspenders and a white blouse and huge hats and hold big lollipops in our hands and pigtails in our hair.  Lol!   I would have still been on cloud-9 enjoying every single minute of it!!!!

Lol I was kind of thinking along similar lines, if I was accepted into a convent I'd be so happy to just be there! :)

• 3 weeks later...
loveletslive
On 2/16/2016, 10:57:09, dominicansoul said:

former postulant here. PREACH. how i miss my black polyester! so many pockets, i could wear it in any weather, impervious to stains, and it made packing for trips & getting dressed in the dark darn easy :)

Edited by loveletslive

I like the postulant dress of ;-

The Benedictine Daughters of the Divine Word

Benedictines of Mary Queen of the Apostles

Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary who received two new postulants last month.

Edited by Jennifer
Incorrect name

TheresaThoma
On 2/15/2016, 11:04:57, josephine said:

Entering religious life is a pretty big shock so i can imagine it would be nice to, at least for the first 6 months - 1 year, wear your own normal clothes.

I do know that the sisters of Bethlehem and the community of st John have a huge dark blue "hoodie" during the beginning stages of religious life. It looks so incredibly comfortable that i would almost enter just to wear that ;)

The "hoodie" thing is pretty cool. Its cut very loose so I've noticed you can really bundle up underneath it in the winter. I like how the Community of St John "eases" women into wearing the habit. Postulants wear long skirts (usually grey, black or navy) and a long sleeve or short sleeve tops. Polos and button downs seem pretty common. Simple easy to find and it doesn't look dated. The hoodie thing goes over top of that once they reach that stage of formation. Then finally they are clothed in the habit.

NadaTeTurbe
20 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

The "hoodie" thing is pretty cool. Its cut very loose so I've noticed you can really bundle up underneath it in the winter. I like how the Community of St John "eases" women into wearing the habit. Postulants wear long skirts (usually grey, black or navy) and a long sleeve or short sleeve tops. Polos and button downs seem pretty common. Simple easy to find and it doesn't look dated. The hoodie thing goes over top of that once they reach that stage of formation. Then finally they are clothed in the habit.

That's really "french". A lot of new communities does things like that here. There's no uniform, more something like "you can wear a brown skirt and a short sleeve tops with a cross". I think it's because here we don't have a "uniform's culture" (there never was uniform in school, and today private schools don't have uniform, etc...). Plus, a lot of new communities are charismatic, so not very strict ;) 

Also, how many Carmelite communities you think still retain the traditional "St Theresa of the Andes" postulant habit? 

The Carmels of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph (Valparaiso and its new foundations like Elysburg) postulants wear a habit identical to that in the St. Theresa of the Andes movie.

Is there any way the congregation can keep things which are in good condition in order to offer them to those future postulants

The Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist pass down the postulant outfits and I imagine the Nashvilles do, too.

He is Risen!

I miss the ease of the my postulant jumper and habit.  Wore like iron!  Maybe a little off topic, but I wish there was a way to dress simply and modestly and in the same thing every day without looking frumpy or like a Simpson's character (always in the same clothes, lol)  It seems like a lot of things off the rack from the store just fall apart!

truthfinder
1 hour ago, He is Risen! said:

Maybe a little off topic, but I wish there was a way to dress simply and modestly and in the same thing every day without looking frumpy or like a Simpson's character (always in the same clothes, lol)  It seems like a lot of things off the rack from the store just fall apart!

Men totally get away with this - I had a prof who had a uniform: blue jeans, black t-shirt.  I've seen some articles particularly aimed at women that are about building a simple yet small wardrobe to fulfill the above requirements.  Don't have any links right now; maybe some else is better acquainted with what I'm talking about.