An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Dilemma?

Gabriela

Ever since Amazon started contracting delivery services to deliver on Sundays, my packages now ALWAYS arrive on Sundays. It seems like they take forever to ship now, then they ship expedited (which I did not ask for), then they invariably arrive on Sunday.

I'm conflicted about this. On one hand, I don't want to encourage more business on Sundays. I was going to complain to Amazon that I do not want Sunday delivery, and I want them to go back to shipping my packages the way they used to: fast shipment, slow arrival—never on Sunday. I don't expect Amazon to listen to me, but still, I could say something on principle.

On the other hand, my parcel carrier told me this week that the people hired to deliver on Sundays only deliver on Sundays. So presumably, they need the work.

?

19 minutes ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

Well, theoretically, the postal workers in question could be Jewish...

I live in St. Louis. 9 out of 10 are black. There aren't many black Jews (in America). But I take your point: They could be non-Christians. Does that make a difference, though, if God's day of rest for humanity is Sunday?

25 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

I live in St. Louis. 9 out of 10 are black. There aren't many black Jews (in America). But I take your point: They could be non-Christians. Does that make a difference, though, if God's day of rest for humanity is Sunday?

They would not be bound by law to observe our Sabbath, but we could use it as a witness and for the sake of evangelization. I think the Sabbath day is much more an article of revealed faith than something that could be gleaned from natural law. Although if someone could make a solid natural law argument for a Sabbath day that would be fascinating and I would love to hear it.

6 hours ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

Well, theoretically, the postal workers in question could be Jewish...

Or SDA. We have the mothership of their hospital system where I live. Non essential and other services come to a screeching halt at 3pm on Friday to Saturday. It's their Sabbath. 

Basilisa Marie

I try not to go shopping on Sundays for similar reasons, but I think with online orders it's different. It sounds like you're not actively requesting things arrive on a Sunday, it's the company that's making the decision to ship and deliver when it chooses. So if I were you I'd choose arrival dates that weren't Sundays, but if they end up delivering on Sundays that's their problem. 

Plus providing more jobs is a good in itself. It's definitely not ideal that we work on Sundays, but if you must work on a Sunday it's my impression that we're supposed to take another day as our "Sabbath" rest until you no longer have to work on a Sunday.