An Old School Catholic Message Board

"History of the Baptists" - Charles H. Spurgeon

I feel like he'd be a very messy eater. His beard probably always had food bits in it. And he probably cleared his throat a lot and licked his finger before turning pages.

Edited by Selah

In his defense, Charles Spurgeon was one of the greatest preachers of all time.

Which is not to say that what he preached was always... erm... accurate.

Edited by Gabriela

3 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

In his defense, Charles Spurgeon was one of the greatest preachers of all time.

Which is not to say that what he preached was always... erm... accurate.

I always hear people say this but I have never understood why. He wasn't groundbreaking; he didn't say anything new or different that reformers before him hadn't said. He was altogether mediocre. 

Just now, Selah said:

I always hear people say this but I have never understood why. He wasn't groundbreaking; he didn't say anything new or different that reformers before him hadn't said. He was altogether mediocre. 

Look at the power of his rhetoric just in that quote above. The man could move people.

You don't have to launch a whole new theology to be a noteworthy preacher. In fact, it's better that you not.

Just now, Gabriela said:

Look at the power of his rhetoric just in that quote above. The man could move people.

You don't have to launch a whole new theology to be a noteworthy preacher. In fact, it's better that you not.

Billy Sunday did the exact same thing, except where Billy Sunday was melodramatic and over the top, Spurgeon constantly sounds like he is bs'ing an english paper. 

Just now, Amppax said:

Clearly this guy isn't a historian. What is the point of posting this @Josh

Just saw it on Facebook. Thought I would post it for discussion. Is that not okay? I think it's good when things like this can be refuted. Strengthens the faith.

Just now, Selah said:

I feel like he'd be a very messy eater. His beard probably always had food bits in it. And he probably cleared his throat a lot and licked his finger before turning pages.

I never even heard of him lol Although my beard is his length or longer. So we have that in common.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Just saw it on Facebook. Thought I would post it for discussion. Is that not okay? I think it's good when things like this can be refuted. Strengthens the faith.

:like: All good. I was just curious. 

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

So when Baptist claim they can trace their lineage to the Apostles what is their story?

What they would (I suppose) say is this: before the Reformation, before there were self identified "Baptists," all True Christians were, at heart, Baptists. The fact is, this can be demonstratively proven false by a study of the Church Fathers, and Church history in general. As Bl. John Henry Newman said in his Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine (available here) , "To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant."