An Old School Catholic Message Board

"History of the Baptists" - Charles H. Spurgeon

3 hours ago, Selah said:

Billy Sunday did the exact same thing, except where Billy Sunday was melodramatic and over the top, Spurgeon constantly sounds like he is bs'ing an english paper. 

Remember this eternal wisdom:

"You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Personally, I like his style. Although I think it's easier to comprehend in writing than orally. But then, back in his day, people didn't have internet-length attention spans.

42 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

Remember this eternal wisdom:

"You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Personally, I like his style. Although I think it's easier to comprehend in writing than orally. But then, back in his day, people didn't have internet-length attention spans.

It's not that I have a short attention span. I just don't consider him to be the Prince of Preachers as he is so often referred to. His style is nothing special to me. 

5 minutes ago, Selah said:

It's not that I have a short attention span. I just don't consider him to be the Prince of Preachers as he is so often referred to. His style is nothing special to me. 

The attention span comment was directed at me. Notice how it's in the paragraph that begins "Personally, I..."