An Old School Catholic Message Board

So sick of hearing about these priest molesting kids

veritasluxmea

I saw Spotlight. If you haven't already, go see it. It's online for free with google. 

I spent the whole night wondering how a whole town of responsible adults could just look the other way. How could that happen? People seemed so willing to let it slide. I don't just mean the bystander effect (although for some people that probably had something to do with it) but people who were actually knew, actually had authority over the situation, actually could do something about it- just didn't. Just covered it up. Why? It reminded me of some situations when people have drug addicts or alcoholics in the family and they end up enabling the person, or just ignoring and working around the problem. Is it because people see priests as a father figure and kind of "part of the family" so they're unwilling to address any problems with them, like they would with their own family? 

I know during those times psychology thought sexual disorders were curable with treatment (same for homosexuality). But that doesn't excuse covering it up after they kept repeating, or letting them out of a jail sentence. 

The only two corrections I would mention about the movie is that Archbishop Law was moved to an decorative position with no real authority, similar to where Burke was moved. Frankly I think he should be completely demoted and tried in American courts as being an accessory to child abuse... but at least he wasn't promoted. The way the movie leaves that off makes it sound like that's what happened.

The movie didn't really take the "celibacy creates pedophiles" track that often is taken against the priesthood (good thing that's false, or else I'm in trouble :smile3:), but did say the practice of celibacy encouraged priests to look the other way because they, too, were secretly breaking their vows, which  created a culture of secrecy. That's true, but if they were all married and committing adultery, wouldn't that also create a culture of secrecy? How would being married fix sexual immorality? The issue is that they're breaking their vows- not that they took vows. And if they're into promiscuous behavior, getting married won't fix that, and it certainly won't fix pedophile-desires (although to the movie's credit they didn't claim that!). I can see how if most priests are breaking their vows it would create a "look the other way" culture. But I doubt that's the case in most diocese and even in Boston nowadays. But during that scandal maybe they were breaking their vows and had that problem going on. They obviously had elements of secrecy and thought covering it up was the best option. But the answer to solving sexual immorality in future priests isn't to allow them to get married. 

Seriously though, it was a good movie- good see it. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Yeah funny thing is perhaps around 15% of people in Jail are there because they are pedophiles and the media never drills them. But aye i'm glad, weed em out, a murderous or rapist priest should always have been de frocked, croutons martin luther was for perhaps and not saying it is lessor but a lessor offence. Murder and rape are the worst of crimes and needed to be treated as such especialy in the holy priesthood. I was told by someone that the church did used to ex communicate such priests but stopped doing so the last 100 or so years. I could be wrong perhaps no one should have any discipline and we all should get given gifts for being bad.

Heck in the confessional we should be able to talk cordially about what led up to our sins so the priest can decide whether it is cold blooded or hot blooded so that the priest is able to exact a penance in accordance with reason, though murder and rape is always cold.

I'm kind of glad these guys are busted and now will be facing the right amount of karma for there most horrible of crimes, may save them from eternal damnation. I recommend all priests that have molested a child or raped a minor to turn themselves in and avoid hell even if our ranks are seriously depleted, we all know what Jesus says will happen to people that are the fall of children.

Also darkness will never overcome the church though it has and does try, and on the rare occasion as we have in this recent scandal, and a scandal it is, gotten into the priesthood and God only knows how high up these pedos have gotten.

GodblesS.

Jesus is LORD.

Onward Christian Souls.

P.s. Jesus also says all darkness must be bought to the light, your going to be even more horrified when it is revealed that this crime is more prevelant in the world than you may think and that compared to the world the church of course has fared relatively well. People that have been molested rarely tell people due to embarressment and confusion and push it to the back of there minds. And the crime is more prevalent against girls than boys. :(

I was groomed by a paedophile

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

1 hour ago, Papist said:

And I am sick of threads blathering about it.. 

As were many people tired of hearing about it.   When I was a practicing Catholic, (within the last ten years) teaching Confirmation classes and a key adult mentor in the youth group, I helped diminish and squash the info of a priest grooming a kid.   Before that, as a member of the school board, I was involved and have first hand knowledge of another cover up of a student on student molestation in a Catholic school.  We were close friends with the abused kids parents . 

I understand the desire to protect the Church, parochial school, Catholicism, and it's institutions.  Looking back, it became apparent how easy it is to justify things to avoid "greater" harm.  People were sick of hearing these stories, even as they were happening again. 

Edited by Anomaly

Veritasluxmea these Priests who did this aren't straight men. I just can't get how people don't understand this. Straight men who are attracted to only females don't mess around with young boys. If they do they are gay.

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

As were many people tired of hearing about it.   When I was a practicing Catholic, (within the last ten years) teaching Confirmation classes and a key adult mentor in the youth group, I helped diminish and squash the info of a priest grooming a kid.   Before that, as a member of the school board, I was involved and have first hand knowledge of another cover up of a student on student molestation in a Catholic school.  We were close friends with the abused kids parents . 

I understand the desire to protect the Church, parochial school, Catholicism, and it's institutions.  Looking back, it became apparent how easy it is to justify things to avoid "greater" harm.  People were sick of hearing these stories, even as they were happening again. 

Cover-up is a part of abuse. I've been working with children with severe mental health problems for years, most of whom have experienced some kind of sexual trauma, especially among the girls, and there was almost always a parent who wanted to cover for an abusive spouse (because he's "not that bad", he's "stressed", it's "all in her head") or a school who wanted to defend an excellent teacher ("Allegations like this could destroy his career"). Cover-ups can easily become part of an institution's culture. In the UK we have just seen this with the BBC, where celebrities like Jimmy Savile were preying on vulnerable young girls under the cover of their charity work, and everyone from senior broadcasting managers to hospital nurses looked the other way. I suspect denial and cover-ups are the norm rather than the exception in abuse cases (and I think trying to insinuate that abusive priests must be gay is another form of denial  - we make the problem about homosexuality rather than about abuse of trust and power, as though only people "like them" are capable of committing such crimes. Not us. Never us).

But even though I agree that we need to face up to abuse as a community, even when that means going against Father Favourite or hauling our dirty laundry to the public laundromat, I also get the frustration over the way it gets brought up. Someone will express outrage. OK, fine, many of us are outraged. But what it does it achieve to keep saying on Phatmass again and again how outraged we are and how it should never have happened? I may just be jaded because in 'real life' I have had people being quite aggressive and confrontational with me over this, expecting me to justify my religious faith and almost acting as though I'm personally culpable for the abuse, so when I see these threads I think OK, what's the expectation? That we sit at the keyboard and self-flagellate with our mouse cables?

Just now, Papist said:

And I am sick of threads blathering about it.. 

I don't know what to tell you. I guess you're of the opinion don't speak about it because it makes the Church look bad. Like Anomaly said let's talk more about all the people going to hell for masturbation and missing Mass. 

Just now, beatitude said:

Cover-up is a part of abuse. I've been working with children with severe mental health problems for years, most of whom have experienced some kind of sexual trauma, especially among the girls, and there was almost always a parent who wanted to cover for an abusive spouse (because he's "not that bad", he's "stressed", it's "all in her head") or a school who wanted to defend an excellent teacher ("Allegations like this could destroy his career"). Cover-ups can easily become part of an institution's culture. In the UK we have just seen this with the BBC, where celebrities like Jimmy Savile were preying on vulnerable young girls under the cover of their charity work, and everyone from senior broadcasting managers to hospital nurses looked the other way. I suspect denial and cover-ups are the norm rather than the exception in abuse cases (and I think trying to insinuate that abusive priests must be gay is another form of denial  - we make the problem about homosexuality rather than about abuse of trust and power, as though only people "like them" are capable of committing such crimes. Not us. Never us).

But even though I agree that we need to face up to abuse as a community, even when that means going against Father Favourite or hauling our dirty laundry to the public laundromat, I also get the frustration over the way it gets brought up. Someone will express outrage. OK, fine, many of us are outraged. But what it does it achieve to keep saying on Phatmass again and again how outraged we are and how it should never have happened? I may just be jaded because in 'real life' I have had people being quite aggressive and confrontational with me over this, expecting me to justify my religious faith and almost acting as though I'm personally culpable for the abuse, so when I see these threads I think OK, what's the expectation? That we sit at the keyboard and self-flagellate with our mouse cables?

I wouldn't bring it up EXCEPT this article and NEW information just got released. More Bishops hiding **** and keeping priests around who do this sick twisted ****. You're acting as if I'm bringing up old news. Not the case. And again a STRAIGHT MAN is not capable of molesting or or hooking up with boys. The minute he is he isn't straight.

Edited by Guest

What is the expectation?   That is the challenge.  It is good to be challenged about what you are doing or aren't doing.   At one time I thought I was doing the right thing.   I don't think so now. I also don't think the Church should be utterly destroyed, but it certainly needs a bit more practical humility in practice than the superficial lip service that is the reality. 

Also a theoretical married Priest who is cheating on his wife is horrible. Being a Priest and hooking up with an adult that is consensual sex is a very grave sin. But please for the love of God don't try to act as if molesting children is in the same category.

Edited by Guest

veritasluxmea
5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Veritasluxmea these Priests who did this aren't straight men. I just can't get how people don't understand this. Straight men who are attracted to only females don't mess around with young boys. If they do they are gay.

Not quite accurate. A lot of girls were harmed too. I'm not a big expert on childhood trauma and homosexuality, but I know being gay for another adult is not the same as desiring to abuse a kid of the same gender. Although you're right that men attracted to and in healthy marriages are not child-abusers. 

I don't know how to address denial and cover-ups at an institutional level. 

I like females. I'm strongly attracted to females. There is zero percent chance I would ever even have the thought of molesting some boy. What in the world. Wake up.

Also as big as the Catholic Church is I understand that kids might get molested. As sick and disturbing as that is its a fact of life. It happens ever where not just the Catholic Church. My PROBLEM IS THE CONTINUED ******* COVER UP!!!!!!! And if it continues I'm out.

Edited by Guest

Josh, I have a close friend that was married to a woman for ten years.  For the last twenty, he has lived a gay lifestyle. Some people are hyper sexual and would sleep with anything or anyone.  It isn't about mutually gratifying sex as part of a loving relationship, but sex for self gratification, for dominance, adrenaline, self hate, other hate, and many other reasons we can't imagine.   And yes, some of those people are priests, nuns, teachers, cops, janitors, lawyers, dads, moms, sisters, uncles.  

Just now, Anomaly said:

Josh, I have a close friend that was married to a woman for ten years.  For the last twenty, he has lived a gay lifestyle. Some people are hyper sexual and would sleep with anything or anyone.  It isn't about mutually gratifying sex as part of a loving relationship, but sex for self gratification, for dominance, adrenaline, self hate, other hate, and many other reasons we can't imagine.   And yes, some of those people are priests, nuns, teachers, cops, janitors, lawyers, dads, moms, sisters, uncles.  

All I'm saying when you reach the point you would sleep with anything or anyone you're not straight. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

Also as big as the Catholic Church is I understand that kids might get molested. As sick and disturbing as that is its a fact of life. It happens ever where not just the Catholic Church. My PROBLEM IS THE CONTINUED ******* COVER UP!!!!!!! And if it continues I'm out.

Read the entire article on the Reflections link enitharin posted in this thread.  If may give you a better perspective.  You can hate some players, don't quit the game.