An Old School Catholic Message Board

JOSH RANTS

I don't know if there should be any. There just aren't that many African American Catholics to start off with, and I don't think there are many bishops either.

BarbTherese

Catholic Culture site review: The Remnant

ht

tps://www.catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=3155

What the ratings system on Cath. Culture means: https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/ratings.cfm

Excerpt only:

1. Fidelity: red_bullet.gif Danger!
  2. Resources: Fair
  3. Useability: Excellent
  4. Strengths

• The Douay Catechism of 1649  Resources 

Weaknesses

• Fidelity: The Remnant attacks the authority of Vatican II and rejects certain doctrinal teachings of the council. Example(s)
  • Fidelity: The Renmant supports Archbishop Lefebvre and the leaders of the society of St. Pius X, who have been guilty of schismatic acts and persistent disobedience to the Pope. Example(s)
  • Fidelity: The Novus Ordo Mass is completely rejected and denounced as a horror of the Church. Example(s)

Categories

Issues > Schisms
Institutions > Organizations
Culture > Media

Edited by BarbaraTherese

22 minutes ago, Papist said:

In Africa. 

I wasn't aware that there were any African American Cardinals presently assigned to Africa. Who is it that you have in mind?

5 hours ago, Peace said:

I wasn't aware that there were any African American Cardinals presently assigned to Africa. Who is it that you have in mind?

The term African-American is interchangeable with black person. It is to identify a person by his/her skin color. It has nothing to do with being an American.  

12 minutes ago, Papist said:

The term African-American is interchangeable with black person. It is to identify a person by his/her skin color. It has nothing to do with being an American.  

:huh:

I'd like to hear what the black-Africans-on-the-African-continent-that-is-not-America-nor-anywhere-near-America would have to say to this.

Edited by Gabriela

Nihil Obstat
11 minutes ago, Papist said:

The whole world is American. QED!!

7 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

:huh:

I'd like to hear what the black-Africans-on-the-African-continent-that-is-not-America-nor-anywhere-near-America would have to say to this.

Did not know the term African-American was used outside of the U.S.  That is interesting, 

8 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Really?

PhuturePriest

It's racism to choose someone simply because of their color.

We need holy cardinals. Not white cardinals, black cardinals, Asian cardinals, etc. Holy ones with talent in pastoral care and a spine to go with it. It's not the Pope's job to choose clergy based on their skin color. It's based on their skills and holiness. Color shouldn't even be considered, and the author of this article inherently assumes it is since she takes issue with their whiteness. But she perpetuates the problem by saying there needs to be one who is black. How is it not racist to choose someone regardless of talent and holiness simply because they are black? That's just as bad as choosing someone regardless of his talent or holiness simply because he's white. The Holy Father shouldn't be pressured into choosing someone simply because of his color.

It's political correct nonsense like this that fuels the Trump frenzy going on right now. Just because all of the new selections are white doesn't mean they were chosen because they were white. That in itself is a prejudiced assumption about the Holy Father. Why is it crazy to say that maybe His Holiness didn't consider their color at all and simply chose based off character? He clearly has no issue with black people, as he appointed Cardinal Sarah as prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship.

1 hour ago, Papist said:

No, it is not. The term African American refers to a specific ethnic group. Not all people with black skin who live in the USA are African Americans (many people of Southern Indian descent being one of the more obvious examples). And many African Americans have skin that is lighter than Asians, for example. A good friend of mine has skin that is white, but who is African American. Were you not aware of these things?

1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

LOL. The whole human race is African, even though many deny it.