An Old School Catholic Message Board

JOSH RANTS

James 1:27 ►

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

2 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You must watch it. One of the greatest movies of all time.

Okay. After Lent (and prelims, and prospectus defense)!

2 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

Becket is also a great Catholic movie.

That I've seen.

PhuturePriest
56 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

Okay. After Lent (and prelims, and prospectus defense)!

That I've seen.

A Man for All Seasons is way better than Becket, which is clearly saying something. So much wit, and stellar actors. Plus the lines from the court scenes are taken from the account of More's actual trial.

6 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

A Man for All Seasons is way better than Becket, which is clearly saying something. So much wit, and stellar actors. Plus the lines from the court scenes are taken from the account of More's actual trial.

Are you working for the studio that produced A Man for All Seasons? <_<

;) 

PhuturePriest
1 hour ago, Gabriela said:

Are you working for the studio that produced A Man for All Seasons? <_<

;) 

I wish. But I do love it so much I saw a play of it on Friday.

Edited by PhuturePriest

I posted this after you made the comment in the other thread. Prior to that conversation I started 3 or 4 threads about this at most. You're the one who used to be a little fan boy of Voris and followed him around. Whatever though. We agree on almost nothing. Peace.

Btw go see Spotlight.

Edited by Guest

I've merged all of the Josh rant threads into one. Mediators of Meh, please feel free to continue to move new Josh rants into this thread.

@Josh if you have another rant, please just post at the end of this thread.

If you have something positive and uplifting to discuss, please post as normal.

Thanks! - dUSt

lol None of these post were rants. The only rant recently was the "I'm sick of these priests molesting kids" thread. That was a rant. Anyways point taken. And I'm not apologizing so I can keep the "Church Militant" tag (been accused of that). I really could care less about a tag. Only apologizing cause I know you're a busy busy man and have way better things to be doing then combing my threads lol. Apologies Phatmass. God bless everyone and I hope the pham has a good Easter. Go see Spotlight. Also go get that Church Clothes 3 by Lecrae. Peace.

https://youtu.be/xR-lYOXsGeg

Edited by Guest

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
On 3/9/2016, 1:12:18, Josh said:

lol None of these post were rants. The only rant recently was the "I'm sick of these priests molesting kids" thread. That was a rant. Anyways point taken. And I'm not apologizing so I can keep the "Church Militant" tag (been accused of that). I really could care less about a tag. Only apologizing cause I know you're a busy busy man and have way better things to be doing then combing my threads lol. Apologies Phatmass. God bless everyone and I hope the pham has a good Easter. Go see Spotlight. Also go get that Church Clothes 3 by Lecrae. Peace.

https://youtu.be/xR-lYOXsGeg

Yeah on that i was told the vatican didn't hide it and the clergy that where actually discovered where sent to cloistered orders and released when the bishops thought they where well but they all re-offended , unsure of the hype if that is what actually happened because pedos in jail get let out also, whats the difference between them getting sent to jail for for years or a cloistered order? A cloistered order is just a holy jail. Anyone have the same information?

Perhaps they should have been committed to the cloistered orders permanently as should murderers.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Yet again, further charges.    Three Franciscan leaders charged with covering up and continued enabling of abuser in Pennsylvania, Dioces of Altoona-Johnstown. 

So many Catholic clergy and upper management are morally corrupt. 

9 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Yet again, further charges.    Three Franciscan leaders charged with covering up and continued enabling of abuser in Pennsylvania, Dioces of Altoona-Johnstown. 

So many Catholic clergy and upper management are morally corrupt. 

You sound a little like a profiler, you know

Sometime  There's one bad egg in a  dozen, but you wouldn't throw the whole carton out if you found one, would you?

I.E.:  Judas ( One of a dozen )

Saint Lemon

Where there is money and power, no matter where it is, there will be corruption somewhere. Adam and Eve had the whole of Paradise and it still wasn't enough.....

• 1 month later...

At one point in the movie the reporters interview Richard Sipe, the former priest and psychologist, over the telephone. He has spent 40 years treating and studying the sexual behavior of priests. Sipe's character points out what I have long felt to be true: the root problem is celibacy. It creates a culture of secrecy and mendacity. People lie to themselves and the church about their abstinence from sex. They become accustomed to not telling the truth. Bishops are caught up in that clerical culture of mendacity. Sipe points out that 6% of priests act out sexually with children, which was nearly 90 priests in Boston. (nationwide 4% of priests have been accused of sexual abuse of minors, according to the John Jay study,)

No doubt celibacy was and is a unique problem in an institutional priesthood, but it's definitely not a unique cause of mendacity. People universally lie to themselves and others about sex and everything else. I'm glad he used the word mendacity, Tennessee Williams captures the reality of what he's talking about in his play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (which is not about celibate priests in Boston but a family in the American South):

BIG DADDY: If I give you a drink, will you tell me what it is you're disgusted with, 
Brick? 
BRICK: Yes, sir, I will try to. 
 [The old man pours him a drink and solemnly passes it to him. There is silence as 
Brick drinks.] 
Have you ever heard the word 'mendacity'? 
BIG DADDY: Sure. Mendacity is one of them five-dollar words that cheap politicians 
throw back and forth at each other. 
BRICK: You know what it means? 
BIG DADDY: Don't it mean lying and liars? 
BRICK: Yes, sir, lying and liars. 
BIG DADDY: Has someone been lying to you? 
CHILDREN [chanting in chorus offstage]: We want Big Dad-dee! We want Big Dad-
dee! 
 [Gooper appears in the gallery door.] 
GOOPER: Big Daddy, the kiddies are shouting for you out there. 
BIG DADDY [fiercely]: Keep out, Gooper! 
GOOPER: 'Scuse me! 
 [Big Daddy slams the doors after Gooper.] 
BIG DADDY: Who's been lying to you, has Margaret been lying to you, has your wife 
been lying to you about something, Brick? 
BRICK: Not her. That wouldn't matter. 
BIG DADDY: Then who's been lying to you, and what about? 
BRICK: No one single person and no one lie.... 
BIG DADDY: Then what, what then, for Christ's sake? 
BRICK: --The whole, the whole--thing....

BIG DADDY: Why are you rubbing your head? You got a headache? 
BRICK: No, I'm tryin' to-- 
BIG DADDY: --Concentrate, but you can't because your brain's all soaked with liquor, is 
that the trouble? Wet brain! 
 [He snatches the glass from Brick's hand.] 
What do you know about this mendacity thing? Hell! I could write a book on it! Don't 
you know that? I could write a book on it and still not cover the subject? Well, I could, I 
could write a goddam book on it and still not cover the subject anywhere near enough!!--
Think of all the lies I got to put up with!--Pretences! Ain't that mendacity? Having to 
pretend stuff you don't think or feel or have any idea of? Having for instance to act like I 
care for Big Mama!--I haven't been able to stand the sight, sound, or smell of that woman 
for forty years now!--even when I laid her!--regular as a piston.... Pretend to love that son 
of a beesh of a Gooper and his wife Mae and those five same screechers out there like 
parrots in a jungle? Jesus I Can't stand to look at 'em! Church!--it bores the Bejesus out of 
me but I go!--I go an' sit there and listen to the fool preacher! Clubs!--Elks! Masons! 
Rotary!--croutons! 
 [A spasm of pain makes him clutch his belly. He sinks into a chair and his voice is 
softer and hoarser.] 
You I do like for some reason, did always have some kind of real feeling for--affection--
respect--yes, always.... You and being a success as a planter is all I ever had any devotion 
to in my whole life!--and that's the truth.... I don't know why, but it is! I've lived with 
mendacity!--Why can't you live with it? Hell, you got to live with it, there's nothing else 
to live with except mendacity, is there? 
BRICK: Yes, sir. Yes, sir, there is something else that you can live with! 
BIG DADDY: What? 
BRICK [lifting his glass]: This!--Liquor... 
BIG DADDY: That's not living, that's dodging away from life. 
BRICK: I want to dodge away from it. 
BIG DADDY: Then why don't you kill yourself, man? 
BRICK: I like to drink.... 
BIG DADDY: Oh, God, I can't talk to you....

On 3/7/2016, 12:14:42, PhuturePriest said:

What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You must watch it. One of the greatest movies of all time.

'Nevertheless! It was not for the supremacy that you sought my blood, but because I would not beeend to the marriage."

Actually, that movie is also a great study in mendacity.