An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good historical TV show without sex and too much violence ?

NadaTeTurbe

NadaTeTurbe

Everything is in the title. History TV serie, or period drama. And not about the Second War or Communism in Germany (I know them all). 

I've watched Downton Abbey and various other from the BBC. But lately, I've found myself beginning and having to stop various shows (Tudors, Outlanders) because of the sex.

xTrishaxLynnx

Period dramas: North & South, When Calls the Heart, and The Paradise. These are all on Netflix, not sure where else they are available. I believe they are all rated PG and I don't recall anything inappropriate in them. Tudors and Outlander are rated M, I believe, for that reason. They would be interesting to me, too, otherwise. It's a shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Nada, a lot of the murder mystery shows are period dramas. I'm thinking of Poirot and Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes and whatnot. Even though they're murder mysteries, you rarely if ever see violence in these shows. Typically you arrive at the scene after the violence has already happened.

A lot of the BBC cop shows are the same, like Foyle's War and whatnot (of course that one is set during the war).

Also, there's Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries out of Australia. That one is so incredibly innocuous despite being a murder mystery. It's usually very lighthearted and funny. You're much more likely to run into sex in this one, although they never actually show any. They just hint at Miss Fisher being with people. She's a very "modern lady" of the 20s!

Then there's Call the Midwife, which is a wonderful show about Anglican nuns and their non-nun midwives. One of the greatest shows ever made, IMO.

And Bomb Girls out of Canada, but that's set during the war.

Or the Bletchley Circle, which is about a bunch of women who were codebreakers during the war, but now the war is over and they solve a string of murders. I haven't seen it for a while but I think you don't see any violence in that one. I don't remember for sure...

Edited by Gabriela

truthfinder

Well, you've discounted WWII, so that counts out X Company.

A murder mystery, turn of the century and based in Toronto is Murdoch Mysteries.

xTrishaxLynnx
On 4/6/2016, 8:38:38, Gabriela said:

Then there's Call the Midwife, which is a wonderful show about Anglican nuns and their non-nun midwives. One of the greatest shows ever made, IMO.

And Bomb Girls out of Canada, but that's set during the war.

"One of the greatest shows ever made"... you mean except where Call the Midwife clearly suggests that contraception and abortion were good and were basically necessities that had been lacking and leading to poor quality of life? Otherwise, I very much liked it, but I'd never say it was one of the greatest shows, for that reason. That was a later episode, though it had been touched on in an earlier one as well. I stopped watching for a while after that. I later picked back up and the rest was good, from what I recall.

Bomb Girls was one I was sad to see end. Though that, too, had a bit of questionable content, if I remember correctly, it wasn't anywhere near the level of that particular Call the Midwife episode or anything in the Mature rated shows mentioned in the OP.

I don't think we can expect television to uphold all Catholic values. One can appreciate it for good characters and storylines and dialogue even if those things reflect the majority culture. In fact, it can help one gain insight into the majority culture, and ultimately to counter it. I object to abortion and contraception, but I can certainly understand why midwives in that era felt that they were a blessing. Seeing them in that context gives one deeper understanding and empathy for the history of their popularization. I certainly think it's a much more appropriate show to discuss such things in than, say, the crappy teenage dramas they often come up in.