An Old School Catholic Message Board

I think it's time...

veritasluxmea

TheresaThoma

Congrats! That is super exciting!! Many prayers for you as you embark on this most excellent adventure!

• 1 month later...
veritasluxmea

84 days left until entrance! :smile2:

I'm doing pretty well. I have some of the big projects finished, and I'm almost ready to cover the rest of the postulant list. I'll be out of state and back home in a week. I'm so, SO looking forward to seeing my immediate family again. 

CountrySteve21
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, veritasluxmea said:

Happy Feast of St Joseph! 

I am happy to announce that I have applied for entrance with the Nashville Dominicans! As happy as I am about making this step, as much as I feel a peace that I'm making the right decision, I have to admit I was a little cautious about being public with the discernment. I have felt called to religious life since I was seventeen and I've known this order and visited them regularly for over a year. I've visited other orders but I just feel at home with these sisters and can't imagine myself anywhere else. I've been living on my own for a while, college was going well although a month ago I put my enrollment on hold and mostly work now to afford entrance and avoid debt. Long story short, after spending time in discernment with them I decided to move forward and apply.

Even so, I wanted to be sure I was making the right decision. I was afraid that it wouldn't work out, that I'd be called elsewhere, that something would happen. You never know. Sometimes I feel I know more about entering and leaving than actually staying and persevering! Leaving religious life is hard, even if it's for the right reasons. And even just discerning and then deciding it's not for you is an adjustment. People talk. Recently a women returned to our parish after having been in  religious life for a number of years (she did leave for the right reason), but it was still a bit of a topic. I feel very uncomfortable with the thought of being treated like that, of being thought a failure. I know my heart and the decisions I make, but there's no way I can share or prove that with others. So I was cautious. 

But in the end, I realized I don't regret this at all. Even if I stopped discerning today, I don't regret any of the retreats I've made, the experiences I've had, the people I've come to know. I am a better person for taking the time to try and follow the Lord as best I can. It's really come to shape my life and form me into a better Catholic, a better person. I trust the sisters. I know I have made the best decisions I can. I think if it doesn't work out- that will be hard, but it will be ok. I truly believe the Lord has called me this far and if it's His will, He will bring it to fulfillment... and if He calls me to something else, how could that possibly be a bad thing? I have learned to trust that He is with me, in everything I go through. 

I am so happy I have this opportunity. I feel more drawn into myself, to be still, to be with Him. Whatever happens, I know He is happy with my efforts and will always love me as His bride, however He chooses to manifest that in my life. I truly hope it is His will that I can be a visible witness to His love, that I can live in this community for the rest of my life. 

Congrats! I'll keep you in my prayers.

• 1 month later...
veritasluxmea

In a few weeks I'm leaving for World Youth Day and will be visiting Assisi, Padua, Krakow, Norcia, and Rome. I'll be in Europe for about three weeks and visiting shrines and churches everyday.  I'm writing up a list of all my intentions to carry with me and at each church and shrine, and whenever we have mass, I'll pray specially for that intention. I tried to get a complete list of all the sites we'll be visiting, but it's something new each day. I'll have a lot of opportunities for intercessory prayer. If you have an intention your would like me to pray for, PM me and I'll pick a site to pray for you. 

I also received a list of the classes I'll be starting this fall! Introduction to the Spiritual Life, Logic, Church/Dominican History, and Fundamental Theology. The start of the next seven years of school... This summer has me so bored I'm actually excited to get back to work! 

• 5 weeks later...
Hna.Caridad

Dear Veritasluxmea,

I'm realizing that your entrance day is getting closer & closer--you might even be counting down the hours at this point!

I hope that your pilgrimage to Europe went/is going well & that it leaves you with a deep sense of peace.

Please know that you're in my prayers during these days as you tie up loose ends, cherish time with loved ones, and look forward with great anticipation to your future life as a Dominican!

I hope hat you had a lovely time at the World Youth festivities in Krakow and your pilgrimage in Italy.This must have been a  wonderful experience for you before you enter later this month.

You and your family will be in my prayers as you prepare for your future in the Dominican family.

God Bless you.

Sr Mary Catharine OP
On 7/5/2016 at 9:52 PM, veritasluxmea said:

In a few weeks I'm leaving for World Youth Day and will be visiting Assisi, Padua, Krakow, Norcia, and Rome. I'll be in Europe for about three weeks and visiting shrines and churches everyday.  I'm writing up a list of all my intentions to carry with me and at each church and shrine, and whenever we have mass, I'll pray specially for that intention. I tried to get a complete list of all the sites we'll be visiting, but it's something new each day. I'll have a lot of opportunities for intercessory prayer. If you have an intention your would like me to pray for, PM me and I'll pick a site to pray for you. 

I also received a list of the classes I'll be starting this fall! Introduction to the Spiritual Life, Logic, Church/Dominican History, and Fundamental Theology. The start of the next seven years of school... This summer has me so bored I'm actually excited to get back to work! 

I'll see you (but I don't even know who you are!) in a few short weeks as the NUNS will be there for our General Assembly! We keep warning the sisters that we aren't on retreat and that when we are together we TALK A LOT! So, don't be scandalized! We'll be joining you for Rosary, Vespers and Compline but do our other hours together. You can pray for me as I'm hard at work putting together the liturgy!

• 2 weeks later...
veritasluxmea
On 8/4/2016 at 7:26 AM, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

I'll see you (but I don't even know who you are!) in a few short weeks as the NUNS will be there for our General Assembly! We keep warning the sisters that we aren't on retreat and that when we are together we TALK A LOT! So, don't be scandalized! We'll be joining you for Rosary, Vespers and Compline but do our other hours together. You can pray for me as I'm hard at work putting together the liturgy!

I will be- and I hope we are able to meet at some point! My class enters on Monday but we go into retreat afterwords and don't join the community until the 18th. I can't wait to begin :) 

This is my last post on phatmass. I'm just wrapping up a few things at home right now, and flying out on Sunday. I just got back from Rome on Wednesday and I'm still feeling the jet lag! Traveling through Europe was wonderful, and I prayed for the whole community. Please keep me in your prayers as well. God bless you all.