An Old School Catholic Message Board

Short Quotes from The Saints

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

CONFIDENT TRUST IN GOD IN ALL SEASONS - From FAMVIN - St Vincent de Paul Society - Quote of The Day:                                                  

“You must not be surprised or frightened by one bad year or by several.

God is infinitely rich. Until now, nothing has been wanting to you,

why fear for the future?”
– St. Vincent de Paul 

BarbTherese

Fasting bears no fruit unless it is watered by mercy. Fasting dries up when mercy dries up. Mercy is to fasting as rain is to earth. However much you may cultivate your heart, clear the soil of your nature, root out vices, or sow virtues, if you do not release the springs of mercy, your fasting will bear no fruit.

- Saint Peter Chrysologus (406-450), Doctor of the Church, Feast day July 30

"It is not among the palm trees that I wish to die, but among the poor who are Jesus Christ." --St. Luigi Orione

Edited by Era Might

DominicanHeart

If I could list every single quote that I love from all the Saints I would.

"If we truly understood the Mass we would die of Joy"

~St. John Vianney

BarbTherese
1 hour ago, DominicanHeart said:

If I could list every single quote that I love from all the Saints I would.

Would be very welcome if you gave it a try, DH! :flowers: 

11 hours ago, Era Might said:

"It is not among the palm trees that I wish to die, but among the poor who are Jesus Christ." --St. Luigi Orione

Thank you, Era...........please keep them coming!:like2:

These short quotes from the saints can say so much really valuable with so few words.  The few words more likely to stay in memory - with so much to ruminate over.

“Do you realize that Jesus is there in the Blessed Sacrament expressly for you, for you alone? He burns with the desire to come into your heart.”
–St Therese of Lisieux

I had thought of these words today and I basically ran to the Blessed Sacrament saying "I'm coming Jesus!"

BarbTherese

"The merciful Lord endeavors to dispel the misery of (others) as if it were His"

- Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), Doctor of the Church, Feast day January 28
(Source: Good News Ministries http://gnm.org/# )

BarbTherese

Beloved Jesus, preserve the just; justify sinners; have compassion on all the faithful, living and dead; be merciful to me, although I am nothing more than an unworthy sinner.
(Saint Francis of Paola (1416-1507), Monk, Feast day April 2)

"The one thing we owe absolutely to God is never to be afraid of anything."

"Be loving, gentle, humble with all human beings. This is what we have learned from Jesus, never to be aggressive towards anyone."

"It is by loving people that we learn to love God."

"The best prayer is the one in which there is most love."

"My Lord Jesus, how quickly someone will become poor who, loving you with all their heart, cannot accept to be richer than their Beloved."

"What great faith our Lord Jesus Christ asks of us - and how just that is. Do we not owe him such faith? It looks impossible to us but Jesus is Master of the impossible."

-  Bl. Charles de Foucauld (Little Brother Charles of Jesus). It's the centenary of his martyrdom, so he deserves a post to himself. :)

"You only love God as much as you love the person you love the least." - Bl. Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

"The heart of Jesus is very large that whole worlds may enter. All must enter and die." - Bl. Maria Schinina.

"You cannot reap what you have not sown. How are we going to reap love in our community, if we have only sown hate?" - Bl. Oscar Romero.

"We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realising that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well. It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest." - Romero again.

"God had one Son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering." - St Augustine.

"Have patience with all things, but most of all with yourself." - St Francis de Sales.

"In the school of the Lord's service we are beginners all our lives." - St Benedict.

"Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one mustn't misuse it." - St Pope John Paul II.

DominicanHeart
57 minutes ago, beatitude said:

"Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one mustn't misuse it." - St Pope John Paul II.

This is one of my all time favorite quotes ever.

• 4 weeks later...
BarbTherese

St Vincent de Paul Society - Daily Reflections

Posted on April 22, 2016 in Daily Reflection

“There is no state in the world that has not its bitterness and crosses, and which therefore does not make us desire to embrace some other condition.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

– Without the cross, there could be no resurrection. Lord, when I complain about my sufferings, help me to remember this truth.

Posted on April 25, 2016 in Daily Reflection

“Why should your soul not be filled with confidence since, by the mercy of Our Lord, you are his beloved daughter/son?”
– St. Vincent de Paul

– Sometimes I fail to pray with the confidence of one who is beloved of God. Help me to claim my inheritance, Lord.

On ‎3‎/‎04‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎59‎:‎56‎, Didacus said:

Quick, give me a drop of wine that I may wet my brain and say something clever!

Saint Thomas Aquinas!

I really like the above ............

On ‎2‎/‎04‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎53‎:‎00‎, beatitude said:

.................and this one.

I just love our saints' wisdoms - conveyed humour!

Edited by BarbaraTherese