An Old School Catholic Message Board

Short Quotes from The Saints

BarbTherese

Not A Real Name

"Everything is a reminder of the Cross. We ourselves are made in the shape of a cross"--St. John Vianney 

"My past, O Lord, to Your mercy; my present, to Your love; my future, to Your providence."--St. Padre Pio

Edited by Not A Real Name

CountrySteve21

“To fall in love with God is the greatest romance; to seek him the greatest adventure; to find him, the greatest human achievement.”  -St. Augustine

"In dangers, in doubts, in difficulties, think of Mary, call upon Mary. Let not her name depart from your lips, never suffer it to leave your heart. And that you may obtain the assistance of her prayer, neglect not to walk in her footsteps. With her for guide, you shall never go astray; while invoking her, you shall never lose heart; so long as she is in your mind, you are safe from deception; while she holds your hand, you cannot fall; under her protection you have nothing to fear; if she walks before you, you shall not grow weary; if she shows you favor, you shall reach the goal."
--Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

"We are not saints yet, but we too, should beware. Uprightness and virtue do have their rewards in self-respect and in respect from others, and it is easy to find ourselves aiming for result rather than the cause. Let us aim for joy, rather than respectability. Let us make fools of ourselves from time to time, and thus see ourselves, for a moment as the all-wise God sees us." -- St. Philip Neri

It's not one necessarily about the spiritual life, but it is always sure to give me a chuckle, especially coming from a large Italian family: 

"Italians come to ruin most generally in three ways, women, gambling, and farming. My family chose the slowest one." -- St. John XXIII

"Grant me the grace to spend this day without offending you and without failing my neighbor." -Saint Louise De Marillac

"Love is a mystery that transforms everything it touches into things beautiful and pleasing to God. The love of God makes a soul free." -Saint Faustina Kowalska

"God has need of no one, so let us not take foolish pride in the thought that he decides to make use of us at times" -Saint Thérèse of Lisieux

NadaTeTurbe

"Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wonder in service? Show me your heart. Have you left place for Divine love?" (Archbishop Fulton Sheen)

BarbTherese

“Begin again today; what is lost must not cause dejection; what is gained will be lost if you do not begin afresh as if nothing had been done.” – St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Today's Saint Quote

NadaTeTurbe

You lost touch with God when you're in touch with monney. (Mother Theresa)

Also, Saint VIncent de Paul was very good at "short quotes who make you think during hours", such as : 

"Humility is nothing but truth, pride is nothing but lying"
"The poor have much to teach you. You have much to learn from them." 
"God's affairs are accomplished gradually and almost imperceptibly and His spirit is neither violent nor tempestuous."
"When you are called from your prayers to serve the poors, you lose nothing, since to serve the poors is to go to God."
"The poor is your master. You are the servant"
"One must be firm and unchanging with regard to the end but gentle and humble as to the means'

BarbTherese

“The Holy Spirit would appear to create disorder in the Church, since he brings the diversity of charisms and gifts; yet all this, by his working, is a great source of wealth, for the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of unity, which does not mean uniformity, but which leads everything back to harmony.” (Pope Francis, Pentecost Homily 2013).......... not an official saint as yet.:hehe2:)

The above rather reminds me of St Augustine: “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”

Not a Saint's saying but a beautiful song from an American prophet, Don McLean, I wanted to post it, it's called Homeless Brother.

"Somewhere the dogs are barking and the children seem to know, that Jesus on the highway was a lost hobo"

Reminds me of an actual Saint's saying, St. Paul in Galatians 2:10, "Remember the poor."

• 3 weeks later...

"Heaven is a smile, freely given and gratefully received." St. Gregory

"Jesus is with me.  I have nothing to fear."

"The day of my death will be the most beautiful day of my life."

Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati