An Old School Catholic Message Board

Short Quotes from The Saints

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Today's Saint Quote

Not a saint as yet, but then Pope Francis's journey is still unfolding as is all our journeys - and God can create a saint with the blink of an eye as it were and in an instant. 

Who would have thought a little quite unknown Carmelite nun who only lived only to 24 years of age with 8 years in Carmel - and who her fellow nuns living daily side by side with her in strict enclosure thought of as (sort of): "ok a good sort of Carmelite nun, but nothing at all special" would become one of the greatest canonised saints of our age (revolutionising our spiritual concepts as none other) and after her death, a declared Doctor of The Church!!!  (St Therese of Lisieux) - Talk about our God of The Complete Surprise!

On ‎7‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:23 AM, Papist said:

"Love God and Do As You Please"  St. Augustine

I used to ponder and ponder over the above quotation from St Augustine, no little startled by it over and over again.  Then one day I woke up - i.e. if you Love God then your whole heart and being, desire, is focused on pleasing Him.................and then I smiled at the insight and even the clever wit of our St Augustine.

BarbTherese

.........and again Our God of The Surprise..........

Who would have thought a publicly confessed sinner like St Augustine who had the audacity and sheer cheek to say to God: "Lord, please make me celibate - but not yet" would become a canonised saint and a great theologian and declared Doctor of The Church and whose theology still influences Church thought in all areas even today, some 1200 odd years after his death.

How many times do I say to God indeed: "I really will do so and so..........but not yet - You need to wait for a while"..............

.........what God gifted surprises still await us in the wings somewhere ? ................

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

Have patience with yourselves

when you see that you have failed—

and patience with others

when they seem to have done so ... 

Mary MacKillop - February 16, 1874 

Pope Francis has said to the world:

‘ … Have you thought about God's patience, the patience God has with each one of us? That is God’s mercy. God always has patience, patience with us.   God understands us, and waits for us …’ 

March 17, 2013

BarbTherese

“Our good God knows how to knock the pride out of us.” – St. Louise de Marillac

BarbTherese

James Chapter 2:

8 However, if you fulfill the royal 4 law according to the scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well.

9 But if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.10 For whoever keeps the whole law, but falls short in one particular, has become guilty in respect to all of it. 11 For he who said, "You shall not commit adultery," also said, "You shall not kill." Even if you do not commit adultery but kill, you have become a transgressor of the law.

12 So speak and so act as people who will be judged by the law of freedom. 5

13 For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.

Today's Saint Quote

• 3 weeks later...
NadaTeTurbe

“If I ever become a Saint–I will surely be one of 'darkness.' I will continually be absent from Heaven–to light the light of those in darkness on earth.”  –Mother Teresa of Calcutta

NadaTeTurbe

From bl. Elisabetta Renzi : 

A suffering accepted is no longer suffering. 

When you pray, it is He who prays in you, but it necessary for you to be aware of this.

Despite our weaknesses, and our miseries, and mountain of defects, we progress towards God every day, and we advance the most on days when we are least aware of it.

3 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

From bl. Elisabetta Renzi : 

A suffering accepted is no longer suffering. 

When you pray, it is He who prays in you, but it necessary for you to be aware of this.

Despite our weaknesses, and our miseries, and mountain of defects, we progress towards God every day, and we advance the most on days when we are least aware of it.

:)

Nihil Obstat

Though they express astonishment themselves, no one can justly be surprised that We number [Modernists] among the enemies of the Church, if, leaving out of consideration the internal disposition of soul, of which God alone is the judge, he is acquainted with their tenets, their manner of speech, their conduct. Nor indeed will he err in accounting them the most pernicious of all the adversaries of the Church. For as We have said, they put their designs for her ruin into operation not from without but from within; hence, the danger is present almost in the very veins and heart of the Church, whose injury is the more certain, the more intimate is their knowledge of her.

-Pope St. Pius X

:|

Edited by Nihil Obstat