An Old School Catholic Message Board

Short Quotes from The Saints

BarbTherese

“. . . I am troubled by the pangs of rage, of greed, of gloom. I am drawn to scatter that gentleness which I had embraced as my own. And so if I am not to be carried off by turbulent rage into bitterness I must groan mightily and call out, ‘Come to my help, O God; Lord, hurry to my rescue.’”
- John Cassian, 5th Century -

You are thus to understand God’s will: that even were you to live among devils you should not turn the head of your thoughts to their affairs, but forget these things entirely and strive to keep your soul occupied purely and entirely in God, and not let the thought of this thing or that hinder you from so doing.And to achieve this, be convinced that in monasteries and communities there is never a lack of stumbling blocks, since there is never a lack of devils who seek to overthrow the saints; God permits this in order to prove and try religious.

St John of The Cross

“We must receive with respect whatever God presents to us,

and then examine the situation with its circumstances in order to do what is most expedient.”

St. Vincent de Paul

• 4 months later...
CountrySteve21

The soul can, by her free will, make a choice either of good or evil, according to how it pleases her will. So great is this liberty that we have, and so strong has this liberty been made by Christ's glorious blood, that no demon or creature can constrain us to one smallest fault without our free consent. - St. Catherine of Siena

• 11 months later...

Each of us can say to the tempter, “Unlike you, I have not yet become an outcast from heaven through my pride. By my baptism I have become one with him. It is you that should fall prostrate before me.”

— St. Gregory Nazianzen