An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seeking advice

Kateri89

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma with my discernment.  I would like to visit and discern with the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate but I know that the community is undergoing some trials and tribulations right now.  I did speak with Sr. Maria Simona Pia over the phone a few weeks ago and we discussed this very issue not because I'm trying to pry into their troubles or spread rumors, but because I don't know how to proceed.  The conversation ended with me still totally ambivalent.  I'm just trying to get some perspective on whether or not I should consider the Order right now or wait and see if things resolve themselves.  Of course, there is no telling how long I would be waiting as this has been an ongoing issue for a few years.  My other thought is that I should just go visit for a long weekend and see what I think of the community after spending some time with the Sisters in person.  Is anybody else in a similar predicament or does anyone have any advice on what they think I should do?

I appreciate your help!

31 minutes ago, Kateri89 said:

My other thought is that I should just go visit for a long weekend and see what I think of the community after spending some time with the Sisters in person.

This!  Spending time with a community in person is incredibly important and necessary, for both sides!

Mary Catherine

Yes, you can have a try to spend a weekend with them.

Are you sure you wish to follow their way despite of all the troubles and tribulances going on with them?

You can ask yourself. If not, you may try other congregations, I am sure there are many other good options as well.

What Sr. Mary Catherine said.  We are close enough (location wise) that we see the sisters at least once a month.  They are a lovely order and frequently have aspirants as well as young sisters.  Just visit, so this isn't something that you are always wondering about,  and if you feel called, then discuss your concerns more with Mother in person.

4 hours ago, andibc said:

What Sr. Mary Catherine said.  We are close enough (location wise) that we see the sisters at least once a month.  They are a lovely order and frequently have aspirants as well as young sisters.  Just visit, so this isn't something that you are always wondering about,  and if you feel called, then discuss your concerns more with Mother in person.

This is essentially my train of thought as well.  It can't hurt to simply visit with them to see if I'm even attracted to their way of life.  If I'm not, no harm done and I can put it out of my mind.  If I am, I'll have to rely on God to guide me in the right direction.  Thanks everyone and please pray for me.