An Old School Catholic Message Board

How do you tell an atheist about God?

Emely

I have a few friends who don't believe in God and I try to tell them but they either get bored or change the topic so how do I show or tell them about him

BarbTherese

My psychiatrist is an atheist - however over the many years I have consulted her, quite often nowadays our sessions are passed talking about religion.  Her mother in law is a Catholic she has told me but what sounds to me as 'ridiculously fundamentalist' in the extreme.  Very often my doc shares with me what her MIL has said for me to convey correct information if possible.

Hence, for me talking with an atheist has been a journey rather than an event.  My doctor knows that I am a practising dedicated Catholic and she knows about my private vows.

Even though we might be discussing Catholicism, I always know she has a professional psychiatric eye on me.  She knows where her brief ends and that of my SD begins.

Hi Emely! Welcome to Phatmass! :) 

Don't address the topic directly. Witness by simply living your faith and loving your friends. Occasions will arise when your behavior—if it is truly Christian—will stand out to them, and they will ask why, and then you will have opportunity to explain that it is because of your faith. If they are honest, open people, this will leave a strong impression on them. Maybe they'll judge you negatively in the beginning, maybe always. But maybe they'll see that there is value in the way you live, and that will get them thinking about how they live.

BarbaraTherese also makes a good point: Evangelizing atheists is a process, not a single event. You shouldn't expect that any one conversation or argument is going to "turn" them. I never bring up God in conversations with my atheist friends unless it's relevant to something personal I'm explaining, but often they come to me to ask questions about Christianity, because they know I'm not one of those "shove it down your throat" Christians. I answer their questions, but I don't push anything they haven't themselves brought up. If you live your faith quietly and peacefully and lovingly, they will get curious enough to bring God questions up themselves, 

It's not your job to convert people. It's your job to love them. God will convert them through your loving example. So just show them that, and pray for them, and let God work!

Yeah. We are not living in a time where lack of access to information about the faith is the problem. We have a lack of people who are truly living the faith and applying it to their own lives.

BarbTherese
23 hours ago, Gabriela said:

It's not your job to convert people. It's your job to love them. God will convert them through your loving example. So just show them that, and pray for them, and let God work!

Really good point.

xSilverPhinx

I guess if you sense that they don't want to talk about it, then don't. There's nothing more annoying than having people of any religion evangelize when you just don't care. You have to understand that religion isn't as important to many people as it might be to you. 

BarbTherese
10 hours ago, xSilverPhinx said:

I guess if you sense that they don't want to talk about it, then don't. There's nothing more annoying than having people of any religion evangelize when you just don't care. You have to understand that religion isn't as important to many people as it might be to you. 

I think the above is important too.  Especially if you do not know the person well, their attitudes nor the personal experiences that might have formed them - to talk about religion can turn them off completely ........ not only from the subject but right off oneself as well.  I find it more successful to let the other person introduce the subject.........evangelization is also (and first and foremost) to be a particular kind of person.  This can speak far louder than any words and is the most important step in evangelisation.  As Gabriela pointed out:

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎42‎:‎13‎, BarbaraTherese said:

And then there is what St Francis is purported to have said "Preach The Gospel, with words if you must".  There used to be in religious life a term "a living rule" and the definition was that if the rule of life was ever lost completely, one would know the rule by observation of a nun or nuns who were known as a living rule or rules. They lived the rule perfectly it was felt.  The same goes for The Gospel I think - I need to strive to be a living Gospel (Deo Gratius for The Sacrament of Penance).

Here in Australia one can come across quite a loss of resentment and anger towards The Church as hierarchy for the abuse scandals and even towards me for remaining a practising Catholic despite those abuses.  If the subject is introduced, I always acknowledge the criminal nature of it and that as criminals all abusers no mater status should be convicted if guilty and pay the penalty - i.e. jail.  I express horror for the victims who must suffer for life and quite a few here in Australia have suicided.  I also point out that criminal priests are by far in the minority of our priesthood and most are dedicated and faithful priests who suffer big time because of the abuse scandals.  I also ask very gently, why should Catholicism be judged by the very worst in our midst when again by far in the majority are the very best and often very unselfish people making sacrifices for others.

I might state all the above or some of it, depending on the situation.

If one comes across in a gentle and non defensive type of manner, it just might change attitudes or bring about a questioning of the person's attitudes - at the time or even much later.  My other point is that even if none of the aforementioned happens, one has planted a seed.  And in the Parable of The Sower, the sower sows seeds in various kinds of soil and only one soil type is conducive to growth.  Neither is the sower concerned one bit about where the seeds are cast - what type of soil, nor hangs around or returns to check on the seed.  The sower only sows and moves on.

Then there is this parable about the" least of all seeds, the mustard seed - but when it is grown up, it is greater than all herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come, and dwell in the branches thereof"  See Matthew 31.

Matthew Ch17 " "If you had faith as a grain of mustard seed, you would say to this mountain, 'Remove from here and go there and it obey you.  Nothing shall be impossible to you."

With Faith, it follows, we can move mountains, even mountains of doubt, suspicion and unbelief etc.  Nothing impossible to us.