An Old School Catholic Message Board

Name that saint

He is Risen!

He is Risen!

On Divine Mercy Sunday, our priest was talking about a saint and I'm trying to remember who it was so I can read more about her.  She lived shortly after the time of St. Francis, maybe in the early 1300s, she was not a religious (or maybe she became one later in life?) and Fr. spoke about how she had a mid life conversion/confession, she had been I think receiving Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin and wanted to go specifically to a Franciscan priest for a life confession.  Fr. spoke about a few different saints that day, so hopefully I'm not getting this saint's details mixed up with another one, but can anyone think of who this would have been he was talking about?  He spoke very movingly about her and I want to get closer to this saint! 

Sounds a lot like St. Angela of Foligno (1248-1309)!  She wasn't a soul who manifested holiness at an early age.  Catholic Distance University states that Angela "loved the world and its pleasures...and worse still, was forgetful of her dignity and duties as a wife and mother, falling into sin and leading a disordered life."  It is also said that she committed a mortal sin requiring episcopal absolution.  A conversion--at nearly 40yrs. of age--led her to join the Third Order of St. Francis (ultimately becoming the mystic and saint we know and love today!).  Quite an inspiration for those of us who are struggling...!

BarbTherese

Reminded me rather of St. Angela of Foligno too.  She was canonized by Pope Francis in 2013 a very quick Google states.