An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thomas Aquinas College

cartermia

cartermia

Has anybody been to Thomas Aquinas College or are you there? I'm currently looking at college my spiritual director suggested this college. He thinks I would enjoy the environment and learning style. I was wondering if anybody has any good information on it. Thank you!!! 

Wait. Weren't you 12 years old, like, yesterday?

I interviewed a sister who went there and she loved it. I've never heard an alumnus of TAC talk smack about it. They all seem very happy they went there.

cartermia

Oh my goodness! I joined Phatmass four years ago! lol I just realized this! 

I'm a junior this year and am trying to figure life out right now. TAC is on my list of places where I want to reply. 

Like i have been looking at reviews online and I have seen barely any bad ones and those are just because it is too traditional.  I've looked at their booklist and I've read most of the freshmen books listed. 

Nihil Obstat
2 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Named after my least favorite theologian. 

Funny how different this is from what so many popes and saints have said about him.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_04081879_aeterni-patris.html

17. Among the Scholastic Doctors, the chief and master of all towers Thomas Aquinas, who, as Cajetan observes, because "he most venerated the ancient doctors of the Church, in a certain way seems to have inherited the intellect of all."(34) The doctrines of those illustrious men, like the scattered members of a body, Thomas collected together and cemented, distributed in wonderful order, and so increased with important additions that he is rightly and deservedly esteemed the special bulwark and glory of the Catholic faith. With his spirit at once humble and swift, his memory ready and tenacious, his life spotless throughout, a lover of truth for its own sake, richly endowed with human and divine science, like the sun he heated the world with the warmth of his virtues and filled it with the splendor of his teaching. Philosophy has no part which he did not touch finely at once and thoroughly; on the laws of reasoning, on God and incorporeal substances, on man and other sensible things, on human actions and their principles, he reasoned in such a manner that in him there is wanting neither a full array of questions, nor an apt disposal of the various parts, nor the best method of proceeding, nor soundness of principles or strength of argument, nor clearness and elegance of style, nor a facility for explaining what is abstruse.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

PhuturePriest
3 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Named after my least favorite theologian. 

That's interesting. I've never seen anyone express dislike towards Aquinas before. Any reason why?

CatherineM

He's a bit long winded. In law school my exams ran four hours. I finished in one. My classmates groaned when I got up to leave. I believe in concise and to the point. I often said that if your client can't understand you, you're not doing your job properly. No issue with content, just presentation. 

We have a saying in Oklahoma about guys who talk like that. They're talking just to hear their heads rattle. 

Nihil Obstat

To be honest, I think it could be argued quite plausibly that an appreciation for the theology and philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas is a teaching of the ordinary Magisterium.

Meh not really. Scholasticism was a thing and not the be all end all. Always left me underwhelmed, personally. Make sure you have your financial aid in order and have a plan how to pay back loans. Private school will get you every time.  

Nihil Obstat
52 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

Meh not really. Scholasticism was a thing and not the be all end all. Always left me underwhelmed, personally. 

Never said it was the be all and end all. However, I stand behind what I actually did say.

I like Aquinas a lot, but I can see how someone might not be into him so much because of the way that he communicates. Sometimes you have to put a really large amount of effort into understanding him.

I think it would be good if there were more people like Feser who can summarize his main points and arguments in a way that is easier for us common folk to understand.

Nihil Obstat
5 minutes ago, Peace said:

I like Aquinas a lot, but I can see how someone might not be into him so much because of the way that he communicates. Sometimes you have to put a really large amount of effort into understanding him.

I think it would be good if there were more people like Feser who can summarize his main points and arguments in a way that is easier for us common folk to understand.

Depending on the complexity of the subject, sometimes simpler language is not advantageous. Some theological topics especially simply do not lend themselves to quick comprehension. I do not see this as a problem.

2 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Depending on the complexity of the subject, sometimes simpler language is not advantageous. Some theological topics especially simply do not lend themselves to quick comprehension. I do not see this as a problem.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. . .

Nihil Obstat
8 minutes ago, Peace said:

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. . .

kyou_gif_2.gif