An Old School Catholic Message Board

Origin of an anecdote

katherineH

katherineH

I heard this anecdote in RCIA a couple of years ago and was wondering if anyone knew where it came from or if it is true: a man was in the process of discerning the Catholic faith and had the opportunity to go to Rome to do finance/accounting work for the Vatican.  His priest discouraged him from going, afraid that he would see all of the corruption and turn away from the faith.  He ended up going anyways, and came back convinced more than ever of the truthfulness of the Catholic Church.  When the priest asked him why, he said "with all of the corruption I saw, the only way the Church could still be standing is because Christ is looking out for it."

Ring a bell? For some reason I think the story was set in the 1700/1800s. 

I haven't heard that particular story, but there are many variations on it. I've heard the same thing in a story where the accountant was, I believe, a convert-cum-bishop. I'm sure someone can identify the source of that one. It's well known.

You know the story about the confessor who ordered a gossiper to pluck a chicken and toss all the feathers to the wind, then to go and collect them? That's actually in the Talmud—where the gossiper obviously did not go to confession. These stories have a way of turning up in various religious traditions in forms that suit the particular denominational context. No harm in that, IMO. It's just an indication that they communicate important (ecumenical) truths.