An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fr. Solanus Casey "The Doorkeeper"

DameAgnes

He is Risen!

He is one of my favorites!  I have a relic of his on a badge that I keep in my breviary and would love to make a pilgrimage to his tomb in Detroit sometime.  Has anyone here been?

On 5/4/2016, 12:50:06, He is Risen! said:

He is one of my favorites!  I have a relic of his on a badge that I keep in my breviary and would love to make a pilgrimage to his tomb in Detroit sometime.  Has anyone here been?

I live in the Metro Detroit area and have visited the Capuchin (St. Bonaventure's) Monastery many, many times!  Before Fr. Solanus' remains were interred in the church, I was able to kneel and pray at his gravesite in the rear of the monastery.  My mother actually met and spoke with him on several occasions.  Log on http://www.solanuscenter.org/about-us/get-to-know-fr.solanus for information on visiting!  The center is wonderful...even having his violin on display!  I worked (briefly) at St. John's Hospital--where he died on July 31, 1957.  What a humble saint-to-be!

"We must be faithful to the present moment or we will frustrate the plan of God for our lives!"  Fr. Solanus

Love Father Solanus.  I had the wonderful opportunity to visit the Centre years ago when I was a postulant, and the experience, and Father Solanus, have stuck with me ever since.

Slightly off topic:  Auto correct keeps trying to change Solanus to Solaris!