An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trump

Peace

Alright now that Trump is probably going to win, who can I vote for?

I can't vote for Trump. It is what it is.

Any decent 3rd party candidates? 

Stay home?

PhuturePriest

Joe Schriner. Devout Catholic who strictly adheres to Catholic social teaching whose sole purpose is basically to run as a candidate Catholics can in good conscience vote for.

CatherineM

I suspect that someone important will run as an independent. An actor, a celebrity, pro athlete, maybe a former general or admiral or astronaut. Will be a moderate that people on the ends will hate, or someone with no real platform. 

Ash Wednesday
5 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

Joe Schriner. Devout Catholic who strictly adheres to Catholic social teaching whose sole purpose is basically to run as a candidate Catholics can in good conscience vote for.

I've written in Joe Schriner before. I'm in an extremely blue state and I got tired of my vote always getting swallowed up by Seattle and spit out Democrat in the electoral college. It's my way of making the best of the situation at hand and sending a message that's supporting something besides the 2 party system.

If I were in a swing state, I might approach things differently, but I'm not. It is what it is.

The debates between the Donald and Hillary are going to be comedy gold, I'll say that.

It's crazy to me how many Catholics support Trump. I listen to Catholic radio everyday and they sometimes support him on there. Not a good look especially with all the KKK people who back this clown.

Edited by Guest

PhuturePriest
3 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

I've written in Joe Schriner before. I'm in an extremely blue state and I got tired of my vote always getting swallowed up by Seattle and spit out Democrat in the electoral college. It's my way of making the best of the situation at hand and sending a message that's supporting something besides the 2 party system.

If I were in a swing state, I might approach things differently, but I'm not. It is what it is.

The debates between the Donald and Hillary are going to be comedy gold, I'll say that.

Yeah, living in Kansas my vote doesn't exactly mean anything, either.

I've said since the beginning that a small part of me wanted Trump to win the nomination because the Hillary vs Trump debates will be the most amazing things we will ever see.

Edited by PhuturePriest

Not A Mallard

I'd wish for no president for the next four years, but then the country could turn into Fallout rather than Half-Life 2.

Here in Florida, I'll vote.    It's often a narrow margin.   

I hoped I could hold my nose and vote Cruz after a contested convention.    Now I have to consider  a choice between a pro-baby killing pathological liar who will be strongly supported be the Democrat a Party Establishment -or- an egomaniac blowhard with troubling, clumsy, and vague promises (that are popular) but may be hindered and stymied by both Dems and Reps.    I think Trump may be the least effectively harmful.  I will ponder on it for the next months.  

Not voting is not an acceptable option for me personally.  One of the two will be President.  I hope to elect the lesser of two inevitable evils. 

HisChildForever

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but how do you write someone in? I've never seen that option in voting booths. But then again I never actively looked for it either. Do you type a name in somewhere?

Ash Wednesday
10 hours ago, Josh said:

It's crazy to me how many Catholics support Trump. I listen to Catholic radio everyday and they sometimes support him on there. Not a good look especially with all the KKK people who back this clown.

It's probably because he has a surprising populist appeal that traditional Republicans haven't been able to achieve recently, and he's also not an establishment politician. Or maybe he just isn't Hillary.

He's a salesman and communicates like one. It's effective because it is very different than the way politicians normally communicate. He can get people to buy into his message even if it doesn't actually have substance or make a lot of sense when you really examine it. 

Here is an interesting video about that.

CatherineM

I pay my US taxes every year so I can continue to vote. Starting to wonder why I bother. People of true merit don't seem to go into public service anymore. 

Era Might

Regardless of anything I think of Hilary, she's at least a serious politician. It's scary that Trump is even getting a serious nomination with the global situation the US faces. I would vote for pretty much anyone to prevent a Trump presidency.

Just now, Era Might said:

Regardless of anything I think of Hilary, she's at least a serious politician. It's scary that Trump is even getting a serious nomination with the global situation the US faces. I would vote for pretty much anyone to prevent a Trump presidency.

Archaeology cat
2 hours ago, HisChildForever said:

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but how do you write someone in? I've never seen that option in voting booths. But then again I never actively looked for it either. Do you type a name in somewhere?

In FL, there's a space at the end of the list to write in a candidate