An Old School Catholic Message Board

OLAM Questions Answered

reminiscere

reminiscere

Yesterday, I was able to purchase and read Raymond Arroyo's new book, Mother Angelica: Her Grand Silence. It is a touching and beautiful account of her last years, full of information that hardly anyone was privy to, regarding Mother's life.

The issues which OLAM has had in the past decade are very charitably and distinctly described.

Those who wonder what happened to all the Nuns will find the answers to their questions, in this book.

May Mother Angelica rest in peace, and may she intercede from eternity for OLAM to experience new growth. 

I too just recently read that book.  What struck me about the problems at OLAM is how Mother said she wanted to stay until the worst was over for her community and for the Church. 

2 hours ago, Era Might said:

What were the problems?

Read the book. :) Seriously, there were divisions in the community after Mother Angelica was no longer able to lead it, and the Vatican implemented a Visitation and a Benedictine nun to serve as the community's administrator, etc. There is a little coverage online, but more detail (quite honest and extensive) in the book (which I'm almost finished reading, as well).

I just ordered the book...and wanted to share with all that Amazon has by-far the best deal...$16.16 plus shipping etc.  I'm looking forward to reading even more about this dynamic, incredible religious woman.  May she rest in peace.

Sr Mary Catharine OP
19 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

Read the book. :) Seriously, there were divisions in the community after Mother Angelica was no longer able to lead it, and the Vatican implemented a Visitation and a Benedictine nun to serve as the community's administrator, etc. There is a little coverage online, but more detail (quite honest and extensive) in the book (which I'm almost finished reading, as well).

Not a Visitation nun but a Poor Clare Colletine and a Benedictine. 

14 minutes ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

Not a Visitation nun but a Poor Clare Colletine and a Benedictine. 

I meant a "visitation" as in an event, not the order. You're absolutely right as to who the Visitators and administrators were. Sorry for the confusion!

59 minutes ago, chasmi said:

Call me old fashioned, nunsuch, but I still like to turn the pages...:-)

I have a study with about 20 6-foot bookcases, not to mention those in boxes and in my office. A kindle makes it easy to travel, particularly with books I don't intend to consult extensively. I am addicted to reading, regardless of format! 

I received my book yesterday and finished it tonight.  It answered a lot of my questions and I appreciate Raymond for presenting it so honestly.  Years ago, I recall Mother saying on her show 'you try to live with 25 women....'!  

I have to read it again more slowly to truly understand Mother's incredible wisdom.  

NadaTeTurbe

I began to read it on google books, but it stopped at page 35 : very frustrating !!