An Old School Catholic Message Board

“…Greatest Possible Reverence and Honor…”

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

From Our Franciscan Fiat

As we approach the wonderful feast of Corpus Christi, I couldn’t resist reflecting upon this amesome gift of Jesus’ Eucharistic presence!

There is so much to say: where can I begin, or end?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (1324) calls the Eucharist “the source and summit of the Christian life…[f]or in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch.”

Our Patron, Saint Francis, was aware of the wonder, the amesomeness, of this great Sacrament.  He writes:

• “Let the entire man be seized with fear; let the whole world tremble; let heaven exult when Christ, the Son of the Living God, is on the altar in the hands of the priest. O admirable height and stupendous condescension! O humble sublimity! O sublime humility! that the Lord of the universe, God and the Son of God, so humbles Himself that for our salvation He hides Himself under a morsel of bread. Consider, brothers, the humility of God and “pour out your hearts before Him.”

The Saint continues: “Do not therefore keep back anything for yourselves that He may receive you entirely who gives Himself up entirely to you.”

St. Francis sees Christ’s humility in giving Himself through the Eucharist as an inspiration for each of us.  It inspires us to give of ourselves back to him; it inspires awe and reverence.

Our Franciscan Rule, drawing from our founder’s words, expounds: “…they are to show the greatest possible reverence and honor for the most sacred name, written words and most holy Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ through whom all things in heaven and on earth have been brought to peace and reconciliation with Almighty God.”

When we think of the humility and love of our Eucharistic Lord, how can we show anything than ‘the greatest possible reverence and honor’ to Him, present on our altars and in our tabernacles?

No wonder there are so many beautiful Eucharistic hymn helping us in our feeble attempts to praise Him!  One that comes to mind is: Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All.   (Sweet Sacrament).  I could write volumes more, but you might think I’m too long winded already.