An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Priest In Trouble

mulls

Yeah well our Priests are the ones delivering the True Presence of Christ to the world.Our Priests are the Ones deilvering the true Gospel. Some of them may mess up, which is normal because they are also sinners. But trust me the good outweighs the bad.

yes, you say that your priests are the best, but you immediately justify any and all of the crooked ones by saying "Some of them may mess up, which is normal because they are also sinners."

i can say the same thing about every protestant pastor that has ever lived, or any Christian in general.

All of those who are in positions of spiritual authority should be held more to a higher standard. Agree?

Mulls,

Absolutely! I don't have my Bible handy, but Christ said that it would be better to tie a millstone around your neck and jump in the see than to lead a child astray. St. Paul was also very clear on the consequences of being a leader and misleading your flock.

peace...

thank you Pedro.

so now let's end the "priests are fallible men who sin, and that's why they mess up" argument. you guys wouldn't put up with it for a second if i was trying to defend a child abusing pastor with that argument.

cmotherofpirl

It would be the truth.

We all sin and mess up, whether its a child abuser, abortionist, murderer, priest, minister or rabbi.

Sin is a deliberate offense against God. Some have more serious and lasting consequences than others.

The point is, they dont highlight the protestant, abusers or molesters in the news like they do the Catholic Church, as soon as a Catholic priest messes up they are up for debate on hardball, they cant just say a priest did this and did that they gotta say "ROMAN CATHOlIC" They gotta make sure the bad news about our church gets thrown out there.

if they just said priest, i might think Anglican, Greek Orthodox, etc. good reporting necessitates clarity.

in my own opinion, the Catholic church gets the bad rub because it is a hierarchical institution. in the media's eyes, pastor joe in the church on the corner doesn't have anybody to answer to if he commits a crime, other than the law (but we know there's God). On the other side they think the pope, a cardinal or a bishop should be actively condemning and doing all it can to put an immediate stop to any member of it's 'organization' that is doing wrong. it looks especially bad when these authority figures are seen as covering up a colleague's crime.

take it for what you will, but that's actually in objective opinion.

if they just said priest, i might think Anglican, Greek Orthodox, etc. good reporting necessitates clarity.

in my own opinion, the Catholic church gets the bad rub because it is a hierarchical institution. in the media's eyes, pastor joe in the church on the corner doesn't have anybody to answer to if he commits a crime, other than the law (but we know there's God). On the other side they think the pope, a cardinal or a bishop should be actively condemning and doing all it can to put an immediate stop to any member of it's 'organization' that is doing wrong. it looks especially bad when these authority figures are seen as covering up a colleague's crime.

take it for what you will, but that's actually in objective opinion.

actually, you may have a point.