An Old School Catholic Message Board

Books to Listen To

tinytherese

tinytherese

Some family members and I are going on vacation and driving all the way there. My mom, younger brother, grandma and I will ride to Florida. What novels do you recommend us listening to on cd? No religious ones please because that'll upset my brother and then he'll act obnoxious. We've listened to some of The Chronicles of Narnia and The Hobbit in the past.

Nihil Obstat

I have the Librivox app on my phone, and it is a wealth of free ebooks. I quite enjoy Lovecraft compilations and classic ghost stories. Recently listened to The Turn of the Screw, and a compilation from Algernon Blackwood. The Wendigo and The Glamour Of The Snow were incredible.

All the classics are on there too. Stoker, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jane Austen, Melville, HG Wells, Charles Dickens, Dumas... I could go on and on. 

If your car has an auxiliary port or some other mp3 hookup, do it that way. Otherwise download from Librivox then burn it to a cd. No copyright issues because it is all public domain.

CatherineM

Harry Potter in tape is great. The reader, Jim Dale, does a different voice for each character and maintains it from book one to seven. 

I got my copies at the library. 

KnightofChrist

Libriox is a great way to find free audio books. If you want to pay though Big Finish Productions is a great place for SciFi audio dramas (mostly Doctor Who).

Other paid audio books I've liked are World War Z, The Postman, Ender's Game, Solaris, The City and the Stars

Basilisa Marie

If you'd like a radio show, Cabin Pressure is hilarious. It's a BBC production with 27 episodes, about a half hour each, that follow the misadventures of a one-plane airline with a cantankerous CEO, her naive son the steward, the earnest young captain (Benedict Cumberbatch), and a grizzled-sky-god first officer, as they travel around the world. 

Here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXzuFp69m-M

I agree with the suggestion of librivoz in general, and would suggest Chesterton's Fr. Brown stories. 

Librivox is good if you get a good narrator. Some of them are annoying. There's also (for money) LearnOutLoud.com and the Teaching Company (not books, but seriously fascinating lectures) and the Catholic version of the latter called NowYouKnowMedia.

You can also just listen to podcasts, most of which are free. Lighthouse Catholic Media has a ton of stuff... but of course that's religious. I love Wait Wait Don't Tell Me from NPR, and the Moth (which is often NOT clean). Serial was cool for a while, until I started to find the narrator terribly annoying in that liberal relativistic "I'm so enlightened because I refuse to commit to any answers as if the world is made of Jell-O" way.

I loved the audiobook version of "The Help". The narrator was fantastic.

Nihil Obstat
1 hour ago, Gabriela said:

Librivox is good if you get a good narrator. Some of them are annoying.

True. There have been several books I have deleted the moment I heard the narrator's voice.

4 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

True. There have been several books I have deleted the moment I heard the narrator's voice.

Yeah, me too.