An Old School Catholic Message Board

How to get back into Catholicism?

FilleDeStFrancois

FilleDeStFrancois

As is common with many young Catholics, I grew apart from the Church while I was at university. I've recently been trying to get more involved and in touch with my faith. Do y'all have any suggestions for books/activities/etc I can do/read to grow close again to the Lord?

I feel so overwhelmed when I think about all there is for me to relearn. I was reading some letters from my best friend in high school (he actually became a priest!), and it was so bittersweet. He was commenting on my heart for the Lord, and I know that is different now.

I actually had a decently active Phatmass account when I was in high school, haha, and I was very seriously considering a call to religious life. Really feel called to living a life deeply in connection with God, the Saints, and Our Lady. 

Edited by FilleDeStFrancois

CatherineM

You can always sign up for RCIA classes as a way to get re-introduced. Some parishes and archdioceses have programs for rebounders. 

Welcome home. 

Get back in touch with your friend who became a priest. He'll be happy to hear from you, and he'll know - better than most of us - where to point you. But I second CatherineM in her RCIA recommendation - it's not just for converts, it's for anyone who wants more instruction in the faith.

BTW, welcome back!

Go to daily Mass and get to know all the peeps old and young who attend. Best way to feel like you belong is to go an belong. 

I'm a convert, and I learned an ENORMOUS amount just from being active on Phatmass. Click on every link you see—especially from the better-educated members—and that will go a long way to re-educating you.

Also check out Lighthouse Catholic Media's CDs/mp3s. I find these really educational, and they're pretty short, so not over-taxing on the brain.