An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone here who has left?

WhoamI

Hello. 

I know there are old (perhaps really old) topics on this subject, but it is not great forum manners to dig up old topics (not to mention it can be confusing).

I was wondering if there is anyone around here who was formerly in religious life, but is not. I'm currently on a leave of absence, so my departure may or may not end up being permanent, but it has been a rough adjustment.

Can anyone relate?

Spem in alium
3 hours ago, WhoamI said:

Hello. 

I know there are old (perhaps really old) topics on this subject, but it is not great forum manners to dig up old topics (not to mention it can be confusing).

I was wondering if there is anyone around here who was formerly in religious life, but is not. I'm currently on a leave of absence, so my departure may or may not end up being permanent, but it has been a rough adjustment.

Can anyone relate?

Personally I've not been in that situation, but be assured you're in my prayers.

He is Risen!

I can relate to this, I left my community in 2011 and to say it was rough would be an understatement!  You absolutely have my prayers and feel free to pm me if you want to chat.  I know this can be a lonely time.  Hang in there!

IgnatiusofLoyola
On 6/13/2016 at 11:21 PM, WhoamI said:

Hello. 

Can anyone relate?

There are lots of people here who were formerly in Religious Life. Some may post, and when you have enough posts to receive Private Messages (You need 100 posts, I think--someone correct me if I'm wrong), you may hear from some others privately. In any case, you will find a LOT of support here, even if some of us (like me) have never been in Religious Life.

We've lost some frequent posters lately, and we're about to "lose" Vee. (We will still pray for her, but I suspect her Carmelite Superiors will think she needs to "take a break" from Phatmass--hopefully not forever, but I'm not counting on it. It might be different if she were a Dominican. :P) We need some new people to talk to us so we can pray for them--it helps the rest of us feel "needed."

So, welcome!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

be_thou_my_vision

I was in religious life for 5 years and left in 2012. It can be a tough adjustment for sure. The best advice: stay close to Jesus and the Sacraments! He will continue to guide you. Feel free to PM me :)

I was also in religious life. It was one of the most difficult adjustments I'd ever had to make. To this day, I think of the whys and wherefores and where to go from here. It will get easier, however. Feel free to PM if you so choose. And may our Divine Love keep you ever in His bosom.

10 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

We've lost some frequent posters lately, and we're about to "lose" Vee. (We will still pray for her...

You better keep praying for me iggy!!  Im counting on you!  I dont care how feeble you may think your prayers are but knowing Ive got taht bit of support is huge!

Encordemariae
On 6/14/2016 at 7:14 AM, vee said:

I think your best bet for support is Leonie's Longing http://www.leonieslonging.org/

Not that there isnt support here but at Leonie's its their sole focus!

Thank you for the link to Leonie's Longing, it seems like it will be helpful in my transition.