An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canadian Priest Defies Church

PedroX

Found this on EWTN, just thought it would be interesting to some here.

peace...

26-August-2003 --

NO OBJECTION BY BISHOP TO PRIEST'S STATEMENTS ON HOMOSEXUAL UNIONS

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Aug. 26 (LifesiteNews.com/CWN) - Bishop Fred Colli of Thunder Bay has elected not to criticize a homily given by a priest in his diocese which objected to the Church's teaching on homosexual unions. The homily by Father Scott Gale, pastor of St. Andrew's Church in Thunder Bay, appeared prominently in Canada's largest-circulation pro-gay, pro-abortion paper, the Toronto Star, after appearing in the local Thunder Bay paper, the Chronicle Journal.

In his homily, Father Gale called the language the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith used in its most recent teaching on homosexual unions "harsh." He also said he hoped for a "re-examination of the Church's attitudes regarding homosexuality and those persons with a homosexual orientation." The priest objected in the article to the Vatican's telling Catholic politicians they have a moral duty to vote against same-sex civil union legislation, asking "how do we reconcile this statement with what the Second Vatican Council teaches about the dignity of one's own moral conscience."

In an interview with LifeSite, Father Gale spoke of the "primacy of conscience" implying incorrectly that Catholics, even after being informed by the teaching of the Church on the matter, could object to that teaching if they felt they were following their consciences. The priest, who seemed quite confused about actual Church teaching, told LifeSite that as a priest he could not perform homosexual marriage, but "as an individual I support societal recognition of same-sex marriage." He said however, that he was "open to dialogue on conscience and that I might not have the right take on it."

Bishop Colli told the Chronicle Journal that he only had a cordial discussion with Gale and expressed a few concerns. The bishop and Gale talked about the sermon during a telephone conversation this week, which Gale described as cordial. "He wasn't out to malign the Church but wanted people to make a decision based on a well-informed conscience and that's what the Church expects everyone to do," said the bishop. Bishop Colli and Gale appeared to be reflecting the theology of the Canadian bishops' original Winnipeg statement which has for decades been used by many clergy and laity to justify their dissent from the Church's teaching on contraception on other moral issues.

The Journal reports that Bishop Colli said he had not had complaints from parishioners and the matter was closed. "I'm not a controversial bishop, I try to see the good in others. I'm not going to overreact."

Hilary White of Campaign Life Coalition Catholic reacted with dismay to Bishop Colli's statements. "It was distressing that Bishop Colli did not see fit to redress these misrepresentations on the stance of the Church," said White. She explained that the Church's teaching on following conscience "does not support the false belief that anyone can do anything as long as they do so in 'good conscience', because conscience-- to be truly good-- is informed by objective moral norms which everyone can understand according to natural law."

Sad. Very sad.

The bishop fails to realize that we're to follow a CORRECTLY-FORMED conscience, namely, one that is informed by the Church's teachings.

Chastisement

I dont' think anyone can throw stones about this. Not that long ago, the American bishops were copping slack for not speaking out against the so called "Catholics for a Free Choice" an admantly Pro-Abortion, in bed with PP group. It took "words" from the Pope to the Bishops to say something.

It's a shame, really, I just wish our Bishops and Priests would start being more vocal against such shameful ways.

However, it's actually kinda ironic, NZ is the most secular society on the planet and whenever the liberal kaka hits the fan, it's the Catholic Bishops/Priests who speak out. Down here, it seems to be the Anglicans who support gay marriages/abortion/euthanisa et cetera. :blink: