An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hello/Prayers/Discernment is Crazy

Ceaseless-Longing

Ceaseless-Longing

Hello! I've lurked for a longtime on here (lurkers are weird people because we feel like we sort of know posters from reading their material but we never actually introduced ourselves). I wanted to ask for prayers--I'm spending a week with a group of Dominican women at the beginning of July. Not only am I nervous about that--and the fact that my parents think I am crazy--I am terribly afraid of flying and heights but I have to take a plane to get there. While I'd appreciate prayers for my visit, I would really appreciate prayers for me getting to my visit since I'm very anxious about that aspect. Thanks and God bless!

Dominican.Nuns.Menlo

Blessed are thou when people think you're "crazy" because of your love for God! Most if not all of us religious were told at one point or another that we are crazy. We have a Sister here who was an active Dominican before she joined us in the cloister, was told by her own spiritual director that she is "crazy!" 

In our monastery, we always pray for any Sister who will be traveling the night before and sprinkle her with holy water. The prayer we usually use is a prayer to our Lady of the Sky.

The nuns' prayers accompany you! May Mary, our Lady of the sky protect you on your journey and give you joy in seeing the beauty of the sky! And may our gentle Saint Aloysius intercede for all your needs, fears, and desire to serve the living God!  

Ceaseless-Longing

Thank you for the kind words! I'm really quite excited to visit and it seems so close now. To be completely honest, I really feel like the Lord is calling me to this order and so this weeklong stay seems very important in my mind.

I will make sure to write down that Lady of the Sky prayer before I go. Normally I travel with my 15 decade rosary on planes too!

Spem in alium

God bless you! It is wonderful that you are taking this important step in your discernment. May you hear and listen to the voice of God speaking to the ear of your heart.

Edited by Spem in alium

• 2 weeks later...
Spem in alium

You would be on your retreat either now or in the coming days...God be with you!

Ceaseless-Longing

Thank you for the prayers! There was so much grace poured out during this retreat, much more than I could have imagined! Two of the three on the retreat, including myself, asked for an application. AHHH. I still have a long way to go with school debt, parental acceptance, and my degree (I have a year left and they want me to finish it). I am incredibly joyful however and whenever the trials come I will remember the sisters' joy. They have been praying hard for American vocations and now have 8 girls with applications! We all believe the order is about to go through something wonderful.

It was lovely to hear that you had a wonderful retreat and I'm so very happy for you. You will be in my prayers as you continue your discernment.    :pray::pray::pray:

Spem in alium

That is so wonderful! God's blessings upon you, the other applicants, and your order. :) 

• 1 month later...
Ceaseless-Longing

So yesterday on the Feast of St. Dominic, I finally worked up the nerve to tell my parents my intention. (I hit this point where I was thought "How am I so willing to follow God into a convent, but unwilling to listen to Him and tell my parents?") It was as emotional/nerve-racking/unpleasant as I expected, but some good came out of it. My dad agrees that my mom is just really in shock and will be able to have a better conversation after it has set in sometime. He said "I can't understand this because I don't have faith, but I'm not going to stop my daughter from following her heart." I explained that this won't impact my work ethic in finishing up my degree, I'll have to get a job to pay off debt, there are years of formation, etc. My parents were definitely more worried about my future job as a sister than the lack of a husband, which is what I expected to be the pressing issue. Again, my dad was definitely the calm one in all of this and I'm sure once my mom has had some time, she'll be excited as he is to go to Chicago to visit the sisters! My mom did make one lighthearted remark about how I was doing this for the outfits, haha. Sorry for my explosion of thoughts, I just figured this was a unique environment where others would understand my emotions right now. 

Also, my formal request for an application was granted yesterday and I should be getting it soon! :nun:

Sister,  What is the prayer to Our Lady of the Sky?  I googled it and came up with nothing.  I'm also one of those who don't fly well (long story from my childhood) and am off to Washington, DC for a Malta Investiture weekend in October.  It would be of great comfort to me to add this prayer to my others while flying there and back.  If it's too long to write here, could you please send me reference where I could find it?  Thank you sooooo much.