An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phamilton?

LittleWaySoul

Phamilton?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

Meh. I'm not a fan of rap and hip hop, so it's not really my thing.

I am, however, a big fan of Alexander Hamilton and the Federalist Party.

On 6/23/2016 at 1:32 AM, PhuturePriest said:

So… doesn't that mean that you should see it even though the method of delivery isn't your thing?

I haven't seen it… but I would definitely like to. I didn't see an option for that!

LittleWaySoul
On 23 giugno 2016 at 1:32 AM, PhuturePriest said:

7 hours ago, Seven77 said:

So… doesn't that mean that you should see it even though the method of delivery isn't your thing?

I haven't seen it… but I would definitely like to. I didn't see an option for that!

Well, unfortunately right now tickets are near impossible to come by unless you're exorbitantly wealthy, so I really didn't expect anyone to have seen it yet, haha. Once it goes on tour it'll be a LOT easier to see. It's still only on Broadway though. (It won 11 Tonys, yo!)

And FP, I wasn't a huge hip hop person either, but Hamilton transcends individual dislikes of genre, be they hip hop or Broadway. I've yet to meet someone who hasn't liked it (my mom and more traditional Catholics included!). It's even easier to like if you already like history and musicals bc thousands of people have liked none of the three (hip hop, history, musicals) and still love Hamilton. I'd recommend opening the Wikipedia synopsis and reading along as you listen to the soundtrack (it's on Spotify).

I do warn you, however, that there's some swearing on some tracks, so be cautious about how you listen the first time around. Headphones are a good idea. 

This thread needs more Hamilpics. 

image.jpeg

LittleWaySoul
12 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

Hahaha throwing shade, FP?

3 hours ago, Papist said:

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif

I thought the same until I read the story & heard the music. 

It was nominated for a record 16 Tony Awards and won 11. It's at the top of the rap, soundtrack, AND overall charts. It's become an international phenomenon for its originality, ingenuity, and wisespread acclaim. It feels so massively popular that I'm always a bit shocked when I meet people who haven't heard of it. But now ya know. :)

Reading the Wikipedia page on it, it sounded like it got so much critical acclaim because it used a bunch of non-white actors and musical genres. Which I don't consider creative these days. I consider it pretty brainwashed.

But I'll withhold judgment on the actual quality of the show until I've seen it. My point is: Just because it wins awards doesn't mean it's any good. It might just be a bandwagon phenomenon.

LittleWaySoul
50 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

Reading the Wikipedia page on it, it sounded like it got so much critical acclaim because it used a bunch of non-white actors and musical genres. Which I don't consider creative these days. I consider it pretty brainwashed.

But I'll withhold judgment on the actual quality of the show until I've seen it. My point is: Just because it wins awards doesn't mean it's any good. It might just be a bandwagon phenomenon.

There's critical acclaim for the non-traditional casting, for sure. But the biggest reason it's so widely popular and acclaimed is because it's a *really* well-crafted work, drawing on the traditions of musical theater and hip hop alike (when I first listened to it, I was struck by how much it reminded me of Les Miserables, both in scope and in score [repeating motifs and melding of key tunes; I love it!]-- you can tell that the writer knows his musical theater!!). It doesn't necessarily take skill to cast a show. It *does* take skill to combine such improbable source material with such unlikely music genres and have the result be an emotionally compelling and well-written piece (not to mention widely appealing to fans of any kind of music-- it's like Wicked in that way). To put history to rap music can all too easily become schoolhouse rock-ish or seem forced, but to make it into a groundbreaking and compelling work of art is a feat indeed.

For it to be a bandwagon phenomenon would require it to be something that's not *actually* that good, but that people say that they like to look "enlightened" or "with it." My first-hand experience of this music tells me this is not the case for Hamilton, despite my own initial skepticism. I have experience with music myself and I'm a huge musical theater buff; I'm telling you, this isn't just a pretentious fad on a global scale.

(Oh and by the way, you don't need to wait to see it; you can listen to the music on Spotify) :like2:

37 minutes ago, Papist said:

It be a musical. That is enough for me to judge. 

Ah. It's your prerogative to dislike musicals, but I really love them! :) 

Edited by LittleWaySoul

20 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Ah. It's your prerogative to dislike musicals, but I really love them! :) 

:pirate2: